• Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool driving forward and picking up momentum

Please, read the following paragraph:

". “The distinct appeal of this film is that it’s a cautionary thriller, thought provoking without needing to be preachy, and written so it requires very little expository so the plot throttles down, driving forward, picking up momentum at every turn.”

1) I'm not quite sure to understand the meaning. The idea. Can you tell me it in a different way?

If "throttle down", it seems a contradiction "picking up momentum"

2) I don't know the meaning of "driving forward"

3) For twice it has been used "so". Can this "so" be changed for "so that", that's to say "in order to do that" as a purpouse? Or do they mean something like "in doing this..." or "this way..."?

I'll very appreciate some help. Thank You.

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: driving forward and picking up momentum

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Please, read the following paragraph:

". “The distinct appeal of this film is that it’s a cautionary thriller, thought provoking without needing to be preachy, and written so it requires very little expository so the plot throttles down, driving forward, picking up momentum at every turn.”

1) I'm not quite sure to understand the meaning. The idea. Can you tell me it in a different way?

If "throttle down", it seems a contradiction "picking up momentum"

2) I don't know the meaning of "driving forward"

3) For twice it has been used "so". Can this "so" be changed for "so that", that's to say "in order to do that" as a purpouse? Or do they mean something like "in doing this..." or "this way..."?

I'll very appreciate some help. Thank You.
    I do understand your concern - the phrase seems ambiguous to me, too. It should be re-structured; "expository", for instance, is an adjective, not a noun.

The film being expository means providing background information to understand the characters and/or the action. This, in turn, would cause the plot to throttle down, or slow down. Instead, the plot drives forward - the course of events rolls by at a fast/breathtaking pace, increasing the excitement at every turn (picking up momentum at every turn).

Do you understand any better now?

The distinct appeal of this film is that it’s a cautionary thriller, thought provoking without needing to be preachy, thus requiring very little exposition which would throttle down the plot. Instead, it keeps driving forward, picking up momentum at every turn.”
    Last edited by bianca; 10-Jul-2007 at 22:26.