Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: see/talk

  1. #1
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default see/talk

    Is it okay to say : I'll see you on Monday. --- on the phone? Or should I stick with "talk to you" rigorously?

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    If you are going to see them face to face, "See you..."; if you are talking to them on the phone, "Talk to you...".

  3. #3
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you are going to see them face to face, "See you..."; if you are talking to them on the phone, "Talk to you...".
    Is it a vital sin to say "see you on Monday" on the phone? I usually commit that one and I hope to correct it if it is...

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    Is it a vital sin to say "see you on Monday" on the phone? I usually commit that one and I hope to correct it if it is...
    I think you mean cardinal sin, and, no, there is nothing wrong with it.

    ~R

  5. #5
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    I think you mean cardinal sin, and, no, there is nothing wrong with it.

    ~R
    Phew! But I was evaluated just yestersday and one remark is that "I'll see you on Monday." is an inappropriate language for phone conversation. What can you say to this?

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    Phew! But I was evaluated just yestersday and one remark is that "I'll see you on Monday." is an inappropriate language for phone conversation. What can you say to this?
    It would surprise a lot of people around here to learn that they have been using inappropriate language on the phone. What would you tell those people? That because they can't see the person they are talking to on the phone that they can't say they will see them later? If I say "I'll see you Monday" it's because I expect to see you Monday. What's wrong with that?


  7. #7
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    It would surprise a lot of people around here to learn that they have been using inappropriate language on the phone. What would you tell those people? That because they can't see the person they are talking to on the phone that they can't say they will see them later? If I say "I'll see you Monday" it's because I expect to see you Monday. What's wrong with that?

    I've been using "see you on Monday" most of the time but I'll NEVER see them on Monday for sure. The recipient is from another country and we only "see each other/ talk to each other" on the phone. Is it wrong to say "see" in this situation?

  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    I've been using "see you on Monday" most of the time but I'll NEVER see them on Monday for sure. The recipient is from another country and we only "see each other/ talk to each other" on the phone. Is it wrong to say "see" in this situation?
    In that case then it would be better/more appropriate to say "Talk to you on Monday". That is, it would make more sense to say "Talk to...." if the people weren't actually going to see each other. And that is indeed the way people here (USA) talk to each other.

    ~R

  9. #9
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    In that case then it would be better/more appropriate to say "Talk to you on Monday". That is, it would make more sense to say "Talk to...." if the people weren't actually going to see each other. And that is indeed the way people here (USA) talk to each other.

    ~R
    OK!

    How about in writing, say, on msn or email?

  10. #10
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: see/talk

    My personal opinion is that for a chat room, you can use "see" because you do see their name/nickname in chat, but I would NOT use it for an anticipated meeting on the phone or e-mail exchange. A very informal Americanism is "Catch you Monday."

    [n.a.t.]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •