foss Guest

Default Writing an application

Im writing an application and I wonder if I have done it correctly. There are no room for mistakes or spelling errors right now.

Im pretty sure I have written all the other paragraphs correctly, but about these Im not that sure:

Im a sixteen-year-old Finnish upper secondary school student with a fluent command of English, Swedish and German. I have worked for a small newspaper for one summer. Mainly my work consisted of writing articles and interviewing people. While being a reporter I learned to use my knowledge of English and German enthusiastically.

My knowledge of English, Swedish and German will help me to work with people from other countries. I hope Im able to develop my English skills further during the time in the UK.

I would appreciate it if you could help me :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Writing an application

Give me some details. What are you applying for? What do you consider "worked for a summer"? What are you planning to do in the UK?

foss Guest

Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Give me some details. What are you applying for? What do you consider "worked for a summer"? What are you planning to do in the UK?
    Perhaps I should have told you that this application is totally imaginary and Im doing it for school. So mostly Im interested only in grammatical errors :)

Im applying for a job of waiter. What I meant by saying "worked for a summer" is that I worked for a couple of months, from June to August.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to keep you posted - I have an emergency at the office. I will post an answer for you first thing tomorrow morning.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Im a sixteen-year-old Finnish upper secondary school student with a fluent command of English, Swedish and German. I have worked for a small newspaper for one summer. My work mainly consisted of writing articles and interviewing people. While a reporter I learned to use my knowledge of English and German enthusiastically. (enthusiatically doesn't work well here- in fact,I'm not sure what you mean)

My knowledge of English, Swedish and German will help me to work with people from other countries. I hope Im able to develop my English skills further during the time in the UK.

If it's an application, I'd get rid of the abbreviations.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote="foss"]Im writing an application and I wonder if I have done it correctly. There are no room for mistakes or spelling errors right now.

Im pretty sure I have written all the other paragraphs correctly, but about these Im not that sure:

Im a sixteen-year-old Finnish upper secondary school student with a fluent command of English, Swedish and German. I have worked for a small newspaper for one summer. Mainly my work consisted of writing articles and interviewing people. While being a reporter I learned to use my knowledge of English and German enthusiastically.

/[quote]

It is very good as it is. I would drop the contractions: "I'm = I am, and the abbreviation: UK = England? (use the country name)

I am a sixteen-year-old Finnish upper secondary school student who is fluent in English, Swedish and German. I have worked for a small newspaper for one summer. Mainly, my work consisted of writing articles and interviewing people. Being a reporter improved my language skills considerably.

My knowledge of English, Swedish and German will help me to work with people from other countries. I hope to be able to develop my English skills further during my time in England.

It would also be helpful if you made some reference to the position for which you are applying. :wink: