• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool sales record, sales report

I am always confused how to entitle the subjects as 'sales records' and 'sales reports'. Could you tell me their definitions?
    Last edited by marieuni; 16-Jul-2007 at 09:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sales record, sales report

A sales record provides numbers on sales volumn, and sales volumn per salesperson, on sale growth and if that growth has been consistent or not, and on the sales objectives for next year and how they are determined.

A sales report tells management what is happening in the field. Most managers expect salespeople to report competitive activities, reactions of customers to company policies and products, as well as any other information management should know. In addition, sales reports can provide records for evaluating sales force performance. Sales reports often include such information as the number of calls made, orders taken, miles traveled, days worked, new prospects called on, and new accounts sold.

Source: Marketing Terms Dictionary - American Marketing Association - www.marketingpower.com

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Casiopea you explained the difference clearly. Indeed most of business activities need reporting and recording whether annual financial reports (balance sheet, P/L account, Cash Flow) or sales reports. Sales reports and sales records allow companies to measure performance.

But allow me to ask a question: You used the word numbers instead of figures (provides numbers). Please excuse me, I am asking just because I sometimes confuse the two words. I know that the two words can sometimes be used interchangeably although figures is often used in marketing and statistics. I also know a figure is a symbol but I haven't still found a satisfactory explanation . You often provide excellent links and it is more convenient for me to ask here or do I have to start a new thread for that? BTW I started two new thread for the other issues.
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    You used the word numbers instead of figures (provides numbers). Please excuse me, I am asking just because I sometimes confuse the two words.
    It's a good question, Jamshid. The answer, they're synonyms; figure —Synonyms 1. number. 2. sum, total; price (Source). Cf. sales figures and the more colloquial sales numbers. In accounting, crunch numbers, never figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim
    I know that the two words can sometimes be used interchangeably although figures is often used in marketing and statistics.
    Figure has more than one meaning. It can also refer to a diagram, especially in a report or in an academic paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim
    I also know a figure is a symbol but I haven't still found a satisfactory explanation.
    This source is pretty handy: figure - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Now and then, we ask posters to start a new thread on a given topic because the questions they raise are good, and it is for that reason that those questions deserve their own thread. A case in point, a discussion on the semantics of figure ~ number shouldn't be hidden in a thread called sales record, sales report.

This is a discussion forum, not an answers forum. If a topic is hidden inside another topic, it's not as accessible to others as it can be. The more contributions that we can get on one topic, the better our information. That's the whole point.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Casiopea. I really appreciate your comments and ideas and I like interacting particularly with you. Some time ago I discussed this issue at the university but I feel there is still some confusion and I am often puzzled when people use number instead of figure in a business context. (poor at figures (numbers) but number crunching). Aditionally maybe it is because (as you said) number is more often used in spoken English or it is a matter of collocations. I wonder how and where you find all those great links. I do understand your point about starting a new thread but sometimes it is simply more practical to raise questions at their place.
    Regards
    Jamshid
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 17-Jul-2007 at 14:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    Thanks Casiopea.
    You're most welcome.

All the best, and I trust we can leave this discussion here. If you would like to discuss this further, please PM me or--and you might know what's coming--please, start a thread on that topic.

marieuni is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

If the article is only recorded the contents as: inovice numbers, invoice dates, invoice amounts, customers, product names, shipment details & lum sums of the months, what kind of it should be?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marieuni View Post
    If the article is only recorded the contents as: inovice numbers, invoice dates, invoice amounts, customers, product names, shipment details & lum sums of the months, what kind of it should be?
    If you are reporting that information to management, then it's a sales report. If you're not reporting the information, then it's not a report. Whether you should call it a sales record or something else is something I don't know. Sorry.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marieuni View Post
    I am afraid I don't understand your question. Could state clearly what you need?

marieuni is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I am supposed to prepare a document to my boss by month with the contents as invoice numbers, invoice dates, invoice amounts, customers' names, products' names & total amount of the months. What kind of the document should be? a sales record or a sales report? Hope this re-writing is much better than
    Last edited by marieuni; 20-Jul-2007 at 06:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast