jargon_dudette is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if the shoe fits..

I ask this question because your teachers, esp.if someone here is an elementary teacher.
    How do you personally handle problems like children who make the school there outlet for emotions. My 3rd grade student, xxxxx, is known at home as a well-behaved boy. But at school he is the entire opposite.

P.S
    Although this has entirely no relevance to the English subject, hope you guys still answers my q.
    Last edited by Tdol; 17-Jul-2007 at 09:01. Reason: Anonymising post

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: if the shoe fits..

Firstly, I don't teach children. However, are his family aware of this? How serious is the problem? Does his behaviour affect others in the class?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Firstly, I don't teach children. However, are his family aware of this? How serious is the problem? Does his behaviour affect others in the class?
    He's not really into bullying and hurting. but is becoming a distraction to the point of irritation. Irritation because when you try to reprimand him, he snickers and giggles. This also happens when his other classmates were the the ones reprimanded where there, he really laughs out loud. The father is a lawyer with ultra strict ways of rearing children.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jargon_dudette View Post
    ... when you try to reprimand him, he snickers and giggles.
    I know this is going to sound odd because it's quite the opposite of what you might think teachers should do in that situation, but it works, so try it out for a few days and see what happens: when the child does something that's inappropriate or socially unacceptable, do the opposite of what you would normally do by finding something positive about the situation and drawing it to the class' attention. See, I told you you'd think it odd. For example, if the child, say his name is Max, laughs when one of his classmates is being reprimanded, make it a point to ask Max if he is upset by what is happening. You mentioned that his father has "ultra strict ways of rearing children", and if that's the case, maybe Max needs a break from all the authoritarianism he's getting at home.

When I was teaching elementary school some years back (3 years, all grades), the seasoned teachers had this wonderful method that worked quite well: if a student did something inappropriate, the teacher would find something positive about that child and focus on that aspect instead of on the negative side of what the child did. Yes, and at first, if you try it, it will seem to others that the teacher doesn't really care whether the child acts appropriately or not--no one's telling the child that what s/he doing is wrong; it will, however, only appears that way. On the inside, and to the child, positive reinforcement is what they want and what they need. The beauty of that method, changing what the student expects.

Try it. If it doesn't work, you can always come to my school and help me with my 20 or so highly A.D.D. children.
    Last edited by Casiopea; 17-Jul-2007 at 15:23.

Post Thanks / Like

you know my heart hoes to the kid. because i really think it's his parents' fault his like this. when i started teaching i stuck with the saying honey attracts bees better than vinegar. i'm in good terms with this kid. He and I have good camaraderie. But not all teachers have the kind of patience i have with him and i'm outnumbered. but don't worry. i'll bravely tell them your suggestion (it's just my 2nd year in the school i'm teaching) and observe if there are changes from the boy.
    thanks a lot!
    P.S
    thanks but no! i'm contented here (LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jargon_dudette View Post
    you know my heart hoes to the kid. because i really think it's his parents' fault his like this.
    I agree with you. Having said that though, parents aren't always to blame, and that could be the case here. You never really know. A case in point, last week one of our teachers walked out of his grade 4 class and never returned. We still haven't heard word from him. His reasons unknown to the board, but known quite well to us, his colleagues. A child, a boy, problematic, violent, physically abusive, and labelled as "unable to control" by his parents. His parents, and we know this for a fact, have tried everything within their power and know-how to curb the boy's behavior, even pleaded with the school to have understanding and patience with their child. The teacher tried an authoritarian method with the child, and every inch he thought he gained, the child grew worse, until in the end the teacher himself got so worked up that he felt he had to leave otherwise he would have harmed the child.

Sometimes, children are who they are because of who they are--nature is nature--and parents can be just as at a loss about how to handle their child as we teachers.

Words to live by: teaching never really was or is about subject matter; it is and always was about the student. The whole student.