• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Understand and feel

Today we try not to take for granted the things we almost always take for granted. We try, if only in that brief pause before the eating begins, to see through the well-worn patterns of our lives to what lies behind them. In other words, we try to understand how very rich we are, whether we feel very rich or not.

My question is the blue sentence. If I paraphrase it into "whether we feel we are rich or not, we try to understand that we are very rich", does it convey the meaning? The whole paragraph is about being satisfied with what we have. I have a problem with "feel" rich and "understand" rich. If we feel not rich, we still try to understand how rich we are. Is that right? Thanks.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Understand and feel

When you said "...satisfied with what we have," I knew that you understood the meaning of the passage. We should be thankful for what we have (understand how rich we are) not bitter about what we don't have (not feel rich).

ian2 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    When you said "...satisfied with what we have," I knew that you understood the meaning of the passage. We should be thankful for what we have (understand how rich we are) not bitter about what we don't have (not feel rich).
    Thanks so much. But my question seems more specific. See the original sentence:

Today we try not to take for granted the things we almost always take for granted. We try, if only in that brief pause before the eating begins, to see through the well-worn patterns of our lives to what lies behind them. In other words, we try to understand how very rich we are, whether we feel very rich or not.

Whether you feel rich, or not rich, you still try to understand you are rich.
    In other words, you feel rich, you try to understand you are rich or
    you don't feel rich, you still try to understand you are rich.

So what I want to know is the word "understand". Apparently, it's not the feeling. When one understands something, understanding involves reason. When you feel, it's just your emotional response. In other words, I was trying to contrast "feel" and "understand". I sometimes hairsplit for my purpose, as I need to say the same thing in a foreign language and I have to be able to paraphrase a sentence. Thanks in advance.

hscadore is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

we try to realize?

realize: 1.to grasp or understand clearly. (wwwDOTdictionaryDOTcom)

[i am not a teacher]