Post Thanks / Like

Default English expressions

Hi there,

This will be my first post to this forum. I'm a songwriter/composer from the Netherlands with a reasonable knowledge of the English language. I now how to express myself, but when it comes down to standard expressions I'm a complete beginner.

I'd like to know how to say that one stays in bed longer to get rid of a hangover. In Dutch we say "je roes uitslapen", but I can't find a good word for the numb state that word "roes" expresses...hangover does not suffice.

The word "roes" can also be explained as the pleasent feeling of new love, complete with butterflies en pink clouds...

Does anyone understand what I'd like to express here?

I'm still looking for a book to translate expressions like these. Translating them from Dutch will only result in laughter...

Ta-dah,
    JP8

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: English expressions

Welcome, JP8.

When it comes to idioms, direct translation, as you already know, usually doesn't work. I don't know of a similar saying in English, but here's what I could find on roes. Maybe the following might help our members come up with an English equivalent for Dutch je roes uitslapen / my _______ sleeps late:

1. roes [n] (drink, drinking, boozing, drunkenness, crapulence) the act of drinking alcoholic beverages to excess. More...

2. roes [n] (heat, warmth, passion) intense passion or emotion. More...

3. roes [n] (love, passion) any object of warm affection or devotion. More...

4. roes [n] (drunkenness, inebriation, inebriety, intoxication, tipsiness) a temporary state resulting from excessive consumption of alcohol. More...

5. roes [n] (lust, luxuria) self-indulgent sexual desire (personified as one of the deadly sins). More...

6. roes [n] (passion) a feeling of strong sexual desire. More...

7. roes [n] (lecherousness, lust, lustfulness) a strong sexual desire. More...

8. roes [n] (alcoholism, alcohol_addiction, drunkenness, inebriation) Habitual intoxication; prolonged and excessive intake of alcoholic drinks leading to a breakdown in health and an addiction to alcohol such that abrupt deprivation leads to severe withdrawal symptoms. More...

Source: roes