Post Thanks / Like

Default Disagreement with posted answer.

Hi,

I have just found this site and think it is excellent.

I am a retired, well-read 71 year old male. English is my first language and have not had any formal training as a teacher of English. Like all of us, I am still learning. I have had two years classroom experience as a teacher of English to adult migrants and now correspond with approximately 30 students of English from around the world. I correct their grammar (to the best of my ability).

I have tended to disagree with a couple of postings that were in answer to grammar queries on this site.

As I said, I am a continual learner but have the urge to express my disagreement with the posting. I am always willing to accept correction to my objection but my problem is this: although I am a gentle debater I do not want it to appear to learners to be getting into a bun fight with a teacher. The teacher/contributor may lose face in the eyes of students and make them distrust the answers posted.

Would it be better to 'pm' the poster and discuss my feelings on a posting or display the discussion for all.

I would love to get some direction on this.

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Disagreement with posted answer.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWombat
    ...:although I am a gentle debater I do not want it to appear to learners to be getting into a bun fight with a teacher. The teacher/contributor may lose face in the eyes of students and make them distrust the answers posted.
    Hello,

Nice to meet you! :D

Well, firstly, if you have a chance to read through some of the old posts on this forum, you'll notice that we all at one time or another disagree with each other. :) Words like "agree" and "disagree" are often used, not to mention coupled with additional suggestions regarding the query in the original post. On this particular forum, I've noticed that people debate the suggestions and not the character of the people who post them. The result on this board is that learning does in fact take place inside the communication of ideas.

Secondly, it has been my experience that the moderators on this board can take care of themselves. :wink: I have found them to be professional and empathetic in their responses, not to mention humble in admitting when they are wrong, and they do it with grace and style.

If I were in your shoes, I would communicate my disagreement in the form of alternative suggestions that focus on the grammar point in question. I'd do it as a means of demonstrating how looking at something from a different angle/point of view provides added food for thought, and subsequently generates understanding and learning.

All the best,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disagreement with posted answer.

Thank you for your reply.

I will take all of your excellent advice on board.

Love the site.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have noticed is that there are a huge number of small differences between the national varieties of English, and these account for many of the differences. However, please feel free to disagree- I think all of us enjoy a good discussion.