burro Guest

Default Proficiency alongside "poverty".

I'm sometimes surprised, and somewhat puzzled, when I read linguistics papers written by nonnative speakers. The use of language in such articles can often range for highly proficient to quite poor. The linked text below (REMOVED) is an example of such puzzlement. In that paper simple errors appear alongside proficient use of the language. I wonder how such a thing can occur. I wonder how a nonnative can have such skilled use of one part of the language and still make basic errors. I also wonder how such errors passed the scrutiny of the editors.

EG

"Nattinger (in Carter and McCarthy, 1998:76) suggests that language is basically a "compositional" process in which many of its words co-occur together forming single units of meaning. He call these as lexical phrases or word combinations;"

Another:

Grammatical collocations consist of a noun, or an adjective or a verb... . The followings are examples: at night, extend to"
    Last edited by Casiopea; 19-Jul-2007 at 13:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Proficiency alongside "poverty".

Quote Originally Posted by burro View Post
    I'm sometimes surprised, and somewhat puzzled, when I read linguistics papers written by nonnative speakers. The use of language in such articles can often range for highly proficient to quite poor. The linked text below (REMOVED) is an example of such puzzlement. In that paper simple errors appear alongside proficient use of the language.
    Please provide examples from that paper along with observations in support of your statements. If you can support your statements, I will allow you to post the link. Otherwise, I will delete your thread. As is, your topic for discussion appears to serve no other purpose than to perpetuate the destruction of human dignity and spirit. If that is not your intention, then you may want to consider reworking your position so that it reflects that of a learned person.