• Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: club

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Guys, do you rest in/at the club?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'rest', or 'club'. There is - especially in London - an institution called 'a gentleman's* club'. It's a mixture of a hotel and a social club. They date from the time when Society required somewhere to live in London for a few months. For the rest of the year people might have a house in the countryside. If business required a day or two in London (or in the case of the Houses of Parliament - where both the House of Commons and the House of Lords sit for only 4 and half days), people would stay at their club. So all these are possible:

I need to be in Town for a few days - I'll be staying at the club.

After my two meetings in the morning, I'll have a rest at the club before the three in the afternoon.

He's been in the club for several years, and he'll stay in the club for the rest of his life.
    [This refers to a simple social club - for example, a gardening club. And beware: 'in the club' can also mean 'pregnant'; so you have to be very careful that it's clear which club you mean if you say 'She's in the club'.]

b

*Since the mid '60s, there have been clubs that admit women members (and even - for all I know - women-only clubs). But in the hey-day of such establishments, their members were men.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe, Morpheus means a nightclub where you go, say, on a Friday evening to have a good time (=to rest, we say so in Russian, that we "rest" when we go out and have fun)

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Shorter version: "at" if the club is a building; "in" if it's an abstract noun - generally. But use 'in' even for a building, if physical presence in the building is crucial: 'There were 120 people in the club when the fire started.'

The verb "rest" in English implies physical relaxation (the sort when the heart-rate goes down - so, not dancing). For your meaning we'd say 'unwind'/'take time out'/'have/take a break'.

b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    The verb "rest" in English implies physical relaxation (the sort when the heart-rate goes down - so, not dancing). For your meaning we'd say 'unwind'/'take time out'/'have/take a break'.
    b
    Yes! Exactly ))
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

BobK, if I may ask, you don't usually say that you unwind/take time out at the (night)club, do you? You just say that you go to the nightclub (with all the implications).
    Did I get it right?

And one more: does it sound OK by you if I say that I go to relax at the nightclub?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black_velvet View Post
    BobK, if I may ask, you don't usually say that you unwind/take time out at the (night)club, do you? You just say that you go to the nightclub (with all the implications).
    Did I get it right?

And one more: does it sound OK by you if I say that I go to relax at the nightclub
    You'd use 'unwind' in order to specify your reasons for going to a night club (which, as you suggest, is the common phrase): 'Why do you go to a night club?' 'Lots of reasons: to meet people, to spend time with friends, to have a good time... mostly, just to unwind.'

b

Morpheus is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you mean by 'rest', or 'club'.
    Bob, thank you very much for a detailed answer. And black_velvet was right - I really meant a nightclub and thus the word "rest" is wrong here, indeed.

Morpheus is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shorter version: "at" if the club is a building; "in" if it's an abstract noun - generally. But use 'in' even for a building, if physical presence in the building is crucial: 'There were 120 people in the club when the fire started.'
    Bob, that sounds weird to me. I was taught quite a different thing: we should use "at" if we speak about an activity taking place somewhere and "in" if we speak about a building. E.g. "I was at the theatre yesterday and saw "Hamlet"". "Where did you find the purse? - In the theatre".

What will you say to this? :)
    Last edited by Morpheus; 19-Jul-2007 at 22:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I was taught quite a different thing: we should use "at" if we speak about an activity taking place somewhere and "in" if we speak about a building.
    Same here.
    It is the 'thumb rule' I always use but, obviously, it doesn't always work..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast