Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mary joe is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    What is the proper way to say goodbye over the phone? I mean, when the person whom you are talking to just keeps on speaking but you really need to say goodbye because you have no time left. I think it is rude to cut him off. I don't know what to do.

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    Ooooh - lot's of ways!

    If you are in the office: "Oh, I'm so sorry, my boss has just appeared and needs to talk to me urgently. I'll call you back when I can. Goodbye."

    If you are at home: "My goodness, there's someone at the door. I must go."

    "Sorry, xxxx, I must go - there is something burning in the kitchen"

    If you are on a mobile phone in the street, switch it off - he is not to know if you are in a black spot (no radio rception) or not.

  3. #3
    Veron1's Avatar
    Veron1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Ooooh - lot's of ways!

    If you are in the office: "Oh, I'm so sorry, my boss has just appeared and needs to talk to me urgently. I'll call you back when I can. Goodbye."

    If you are at home: "My goodness, there's someone at the door. I must go."

    "Sorry, xxxx, I must go - there is something burning in the kitchen"

    If you are on a mobile phone in the street, switch it off - he is not to know if you are in a black spot (no radio rception) or not.
    But Anglika all these ways are not true .The speaker can think that you lie

  4. #4
    mary joe is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    I mean, when you are having a formal conversation, how do you end it?
    How can you formally end a conversation that won't offend the person you are talking to.

  5. #5
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    If you don't like the social lie, then be direct. "I am so sorry, it has been most interesting to talk with you but I must get on - I have a great deal to do."

  6. #6
    Veron1's Avatar
    Veron1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you don't like the social lie, then be direct. "I am so sorry, it has been most interesting to talk with you but I must get on - I have a great deal to do."
    This one is good
    Thank you

  7. #7
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Veron1 View Post
    This one is good
    Thank you
    Be honest! If you think you have no time left to talk with him then why not say so.

    "It's been nice talking with you but I need to do something else, goodbye."

  8. #8
    mary joe is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    Okay , thanks. I guess I just have to interrupt him and speak honestly.

  9. #9
    blouen's Avatar
    blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The proper way to say goodbye over the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by mary joe View Post
    Okay , thanks. I guess I just have to interrupt him and speak honestly.
    That's what I would be doing if I were you!

Similar Threads

  1. was you on the phone vs were you on the phone?
    By GVT in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2007, 22:18
  2. speak/talk to on the phone
    By thru in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2007, 20:38
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2006, 07:28
  4. On the phone
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2004, 10:20
  5. Proper agreement
    By raelynn in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2003, 00:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •