• Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you have to be naturally confident to be a good teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    We appear to have the same approach (See post #5).
    True Casiopea. I like your ideas of risk taking and shifting focus. Btw what presenters mosly fear is the audience. Sometimes there are difficult people, people who want to show off and...Mybe strategies of how to deal with difficult people are useful. But I would say you can't approach this problem only cognitively. Your whole body should be involved. Rememeber: We are body, soul and mind. Finally what I am saying sounds to me like: a so called Dr Greenberg who treats other people but himself is urgently in need of therapy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    ... what presenters mos[t]ly fear is the audience. Sometimes there are difficult people, people who want to show off and ... M[a]ybe strategies of how to deal with difficult people are useful.
    Well, the poster didn't mention that as being an issue, but it's a related topic, so, what are your thoughts on such strategies?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim
    But I would say you can't approach this problem only cognitively. Your whole body should be involved.
    So, how would an online moderator, like me, for example, use body?

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Well, the poster didn't mention that as being an issue, but it's a related topic, so, what are your thoughts on such strategies?

So, how would an online moderator, like me, for example, use body?
    1. Dealing with difficult people:
    Again I feel uncomfortable when I say wise words or give advice but my own way is as follows:
    - Establish rapport with your audience. People are then more forgiving. If the audience is small use names or be a bit personal. You want your audience to listen to you so your first bang is talk about yourself a bit. If I buy something such as a receiver and it doesn't work I go back to the shop but I try first to read the shop assistant's name badge before talking to him/her. They are usually more helpful.
    - In face-to-face meetings use mirroring particularly with difficult people.
    - When there is a difficult or an embarrassing question you can always say I will come back to you later. PM is a way for an online moderator.

2. As an online moderator (btw a difficult job) you can't use your body because you are not in a video-conference. I have noticed you already use emoticons which is a way of establishing rapport. In addition your audience is multicultural so you need cultural skills. But you are already based in China and I am sure you are aware of it. Politeness, indirect answers.... You have got them all and there is nothing to add.
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 21-Jul-2007 at 22:50.

Morpheus is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    Have you studied psychology?
    Hello, Dr. J.I. You are right, I am a practicing psychotherapist. And you? The tricks I suggested earlier are just simple ways of reframing the problem. I don't believe that advice like "Take risks", "Be brave" can be of any help to a person who lacks courage. We all know that we should be brave but the question is HOW. I know that a small role-play can be much more effective since it gives real experience and changes the perception of the whole situation. In response to Casiopea I should say that of course such methods of "looking down on other people" are not intended to turn into a trait of character; they help to give a person the initial push and then, when some confidence is gained, they will forget about them for ever.

Dr. J.I., I also agree with your tips, they might be helpful. I can also suggest a wonderful method that I have used myself many times and that proved highly effective. Here we treat the problem from the other end: we don't play down the role of other people, but rather boost our own significance. The method is borrowed by me from NLP and adopted for personal use.

1. Remember a very good teacher whom you admired when you were a student. Lesley should remember a very self-confident teacher!

2. Now you should make a film about the teacher in your imagination. The picture must be bright and clear. You should see the person giving a lesson in their confident way. You should hear the sounds, the intonation, watch the mimicry.

The period of making the film should be pretty long. The film should run in your head for some time, perhaps a couple of days.

3. Now you can substitute the "actor" for yourself. When you see yourself in the film, you should feel elation, it must be a resourceful condition. Now it is you who is giving a lesson and you enjoy that, enjoy your confidence!

4. Now just "jump" into the film, associate yourself with the actress. You are not watching from the outside, you are there in the film. That is you see only the audience just like you see it in reality. Now some feelings will appear and you will enjoy that.

5. The exercise is over, you are ready to face the real audience. And believe me, you will feel quite different! ;)

Good luck!
    Last edited by Morpheus; 21-Jul-2007 at 21:51.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Morpheus: your answer was so professional it was easy to find out. I am not a psychotherapist. I am a university lecturer but I read a lot about psychology. I was often sceptical of some psychotherapists' professional skills here in Germany. I mean psychotherapy developed particularly in the area related to social issues such as shyness, SAD and depersonalisation not a long time ago. They started to understand a bit more after 1995. I think CBT is successful but cannot be the only way. Maybe it is genetic to a certain degree. We need to stop the vicious circle of avoidance, embarassmentand, shyness ... This is what you called reframing the problem. As far as NLP is concerned it is still not established but we need to find out more before rejecting or accepting sth. The film idea is really great. BTW people who suffer from depersonalisation are said to be in a kind of film. I would love to go on discussing these issues with you but I think we need a special forum or we can email each other. Thanks again. It is great to have you here.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Bianca you mention two important points:
    1. Talking faster and faster betrays lack of self-confidence..slow down and speak up. I also remember reading that he put pebbles in his mouth to slow him down when speaking too fast. Do you mind...pebbles??
    Now I know more about the pebbles.
    2. "Don't look into the eyes of the people ahead of you, but somewhere further back" Could you explain what you mean here? It sounds very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post a reply to my question. These have all been very interesting and helpful to me. From what you have all said I can see that my lack of confidence is something that I can perhaps overcome with time and practice. I know that there are lots of self-help books on the market which explain more in-depth some of the ideas that people here have described here so I think I might take a trip to my local bookshop to see what I can find.

Somebody once told me that the best thing to do when I feel hesitant about something is 'don't think about it, just do it' and I am sure that once I did it, I would be fine after a little while. Most often the thought of something is far scarier than the reality (in my mind anyway!)

Once again, thank you for all your replies. I appreciate your comments very much.

Lesley.

p.s. Morpheus, yes, I do have a strict father!

elbales is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lesley,

You are absolutely not the only shy person to wonder about this. I used to be in the running for World's Worst Public Speaker--but one day in my senior year of college, I had a sort of epiphany: the women I was talking to were just students like me, and there was no reason to be afraid of them. It's not that different with your students. They want you to succeed. If you really win their hearts, they'll follow you almost anywhere and forgive you every mistake you make.

That said, there are a few strategies you can try to help with your nerves.

-As others have already said, don't think about how you appear; concentrate on your students and on what you're saying.

-You've said that you feel comfortable working one-on-one with people. Try choosing one student in your audience and speaking only to him or her for a few sentences. Really focus, so the others just "drop out" of your attention for a few seconds. Then choose someone else... and so on.

-Practice. Enlist a friend or family member to just sit and listen to you. It really does help. Be prepared, though: this may not happen to you, but when I did this for the first time, I felt like a total idiot.

-Don't lose hope. It truly does get better.

I wish you the best. Overcoming shyness can be quite hard at first, but the rewards are worth it.

asilaw is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Veron1 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for your question
    Actually ,my teacher of history suggested that each one of us(in class) has to choose an event that happened in the US during the 20th century and each one of us will prepare it as a representation only with some notes in front of him/her.
    Students who practised at home succeeded and have WOW representations
    They are confident;they know everything about the topic ; they answered the questions ; they have some statistics;photos and even videos.
    Others brought a copie of their written essays and they started to read from the paper :it was a failure.
    Thank God ;I wasn't prepared and time finished when I was about to represent.
    ouffff!!!!!! I'm saved
    but when I came back home I prepared myself and practised in front of the mirror and I got 12 out of 20 which is among the best marks in my class.
    I was confident.
    My teacher said to me"you grasped all the class attention with the videos because I gave them the opportunity to live the event now(Event:first man on the Moon)
    Some mistakes of course but it's ok
    So, practise practise practise !!!!!!!!!!!friend is the key solution.

i do agree with you veron. good practices go a long way. but when you are in a classroom i believe what matters is one's ability to make audience understands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2