Thread: Letter writing

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Letter writing

Hello. I have a question as regards formal writing:
    Imagine you want to write a letter offering services, and you want to point out the position you occupy in the company, how would you express it?
    You wouldn't use the words "character" or "condition" as we do in Spanish right?
    Thanx

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Letter writing

I'm afraid I don't quite understand you. Could you be more specific, or write a sentence or two about it?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Can you write down what you meant to say and then maybe we can change what needs changing?

In what way do you want to talk about "character" or "condition"? What exactly are you trying to say about your position and occupation at the company?

• Post Thanks / Like

It is my pleasure to address you in my character of General Director of the International Festival San Luis cine...

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nissette View Post
    It is my pleasure to address you in my character of General Director of the International Festival San Luis cine...

"As General Director of....., it is my pleasure to write to you... "
    is how I would expect to say this.

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Letter writing

thanks a lot!

• Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Letter writing

I've been having some hard time trying to translate this letter...it's actually badly written in its original language...could you help me out? What corrections would you make? Thanx

Dear Sir/Madam:
    As General Director of the International Festival of San Luis Cine, it is my pleasure to write to you to invite this Institution to participate in our Festival, which is to take place in San Luis city from November 16 to November 25 2007, counting with competitive sections of main films, documentaries and short movies.
    San Luis is a province characterized by its firm support of cultural manifestations, where cinema plays a prominent role. Therefore, there is an especial effort dedicated to its development. This is the context in which this new challenging project has been conceived. Its main aim is to generate a meeting place and starting point to stimulate friendship bonds among those who share the same vocation. Our exhibition of short films aspires to contribute to the development of productive relations among young people from Argentina and the rest of the world so as to exchange creative and technical experiences and, at the same time, be able to win the incentive prize of U$S 5.000 for the winner short film.
    To be able to participate you should send us 4 (four) short films on DVD, which should be no longer than 10 minutes in length, before August 15 to be selected by a committee who will determinate its participation in the competition.
    We thank you in advance for your kind attention, and please do not hesitate to contact us should you need any further information.
    Yours faithfully,
    XXXX

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nissette View Post
    I've been having some hard time trying to translate this letter...it's actually badly written in its original language...could you help me out? What corrections would you make? Thanx

Dear Sir/Madam:
    As General Director of the International Festival of San Luis Cine, it is my pleasure to invite you to participate in our Festival, which is to take place in San Luis City from November 16 to November 25 2007, with competitive sections of feature films, documentaries and short movies.
    San Luis is a province characterized by its firm support of cultural manifestations, where cinema plays a prominent role. Therefore there is an especial effort dedicated to its development. This is the context in which this new and challenging project has been conceived. Its main aim is to generate a meeting place and starting point to stimulate bonds among those who share the same vocation.
    Our exhibition of short films aspires to contribute to the development of productive relations between young people from Argentina and the rest of the world through the exchange of creative and technical experiences. At the same time, there is a chance to win the prize of U$S 5.000 for the best short film.
    To be able to participate you should send us 4 (four) short films on DVD, which should be no longer than 10 minutes in length, before August 15. These will be used by the selection commitee to determine participants in the competition.
    We thank you in advance for your kind attention, and please do not hesitate to contact us should you need any further information.
    Yours faithfully,
    XXXX
    I am not quite sure of what is meant by "main films".

• Post Thanks / Like

You have been so helpful! Your corrections were great. Thanks for your time

• Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome!