Anonymous Guest

Default collocations, proverbs

Dear Teachers!

May I ask you some questions?

1 What's the difference b/n injured & wounded when we speak about people?

2 In the sentence "Workers were still tightening bolts on the temporary scaffolding only an hour and a half before the match was due/up/about/bound to begin." What is the right variant here and why?

3 Would you be so kind and explain (to?) me the meaning of the following proverbs:
    a) One good turn deservs another
    b) Least said soonest mended
    c) The end justifies the means
    d) Many hands make light work
    e) All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
    f) Spare the rod and spoil the child
    g) There's no smoke without fire
    h) Two wrongs don't make a right
    i) Once bitten twice shy

4 "sensible shoes, sensitive report, sensible clothes" Please explain the meaning of these word combinations

5 "No small print, no srings attached, no hidden costs - just comprehensive home insurance." "No small print, no srings attached, no hidden costs" - what does it mean? It is an ad of the insurance company.

6 "My imagination would inevitably be captured by the strange ways and unusual apparel of these diverse peoples." Why "peoples" not "people"?

Thank you in advance! :D
    PS These items are taken from "CPE Use of English 1" by Virginia Evans

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Wounded involves bleeding- if you break a bone, you are injured, but not necessarily wounded. Wound is also used when violence is involved.

2- Due because it means the arranged time.

a) One good turn deserves another - if someone helps you, help them in return
    b) Least said soonest mended - if people don't discuss things too much, things will calm down more quckly
    c) The end justifies the means - it doesn't matter how you do it, if the result is good
    d) Many hands make light work - if everybody works together, things get done
    e) All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy - you need recreation and pleasure in life
    f) Spare the rod and spoil the child - if you don't discipline a child, they will grow up selfish
    g) There's no smoke without fire - where there is talk and rumour, there is some truth
    h) Two wrongs don't make a right - if someone wrongs you, you don't have the right to wrong them back
    i) Once bitten twice shy - if something bad happens to you, you'll be more careful the next time you're in a similar situation

4 this is describing a conservative person

5 the small print is a term to describe conditions that aren'ty advertised- insurance looks great in the advert, less good in the contract. Hidden strings are costs that aren't mentioned at first

6- Peoples is right- if each nation is a people, then there are many peoples in the world.