recognise or recognize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary joe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks. I cannot open that site in the office but I understood.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In other words recognise is a British English spelling of recognize.

I'm afraid this is a self-fulfilling prophecy; more and more users of Br E believe it, so my own preference (like OUP's) is becoming marginalized. But it's still an option in Br E.

b

Chris Walker

Member Type
Other
Good English dictionaries (including the Oxford English Dictionary and Chambers) show 'recognized' as the main option with -ise as an alternative. This is certainly my preference. To suggest that ize is a US invention is incorrect. The 'z' was good enough for William Shakespeare (and I doubt if he was influenced by anyone over the Atlantic in the late 16th century!) so it's fine with me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Good English dictionaries (including the Oxford English Dictionary and Chambers) show 'recognized' as the main option with -ise as an alternative. This is certainly my preference. To suggest that ize is a US invention is incorrect. The 'z' was good enough for William Shakespeare (and I doubt if he was influenced by anyone over the Atlantic in the late 16th century!) so it's fine with me.
I usually find that the better dictionaries list my preferences first as well. :-D
Maybe it's that way for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.