• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Finding a meaninig for Ignitious is Inflammable?!

In the extract below of an article the word ignitious has been used to mean flammable. I looked it up in any dictionary I knew (Webster, heritage, oxford, Cambridge, longman) and I didn't find such a word described there, however, I found the word ignition witch means the act of starting to burn.

I was wondering that if the usage of the word ignitious instead of inflammable is correct or not? Can you say ignitious material instead of flammable material? And if the answered is positive why I couldn’t find it in any well-known dictionary?

the extract: " In the major part of the production process the powder has a high degree of moisture (about 20 % of water), which makes it substantially not ignitious, and at least very hardly ignitious relative to conventional black powder having a moisture content of maximum 5 %."

Last edited by lonelymelody; 26-Jul-2007 at 23:27. Reason: scambled sentences, better title

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ignitious as flammable

There is no such word. Either this is a misspelling or this piece was written by someone whose English is poor.

The correct word would be "ignitable"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    There is no such word. Either this is a misspelling or this piece was written by someone whose English is poor.

The correct word would be "ignitable"
    Thank you Angelika for your answer. Indeed ignitable is mentioned in American Heritage Dictionary under the entry of ignite. On the other hand there is no trace of the word ignitious in that dictionary, however when searching the net I encounterd a number of sentences containing the word ignitious and I couldn't believe that all the writers of this sentences have a poor English or misspelled ignitable as ignitious. In fact there should be such a word somewhere in English but I was wondering where it comes from and why there is no entry for that in any creditable dictionary.

Here are some extracts that I found on the net which range from poems to technical articles:

this selfsame light
    flotillas of ignitious angels even they bathed in its endless icy
    silvery glow
    penetrating far into the dark (Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore Poetry)

Microprocessor Control System for Gas Engine Ignitious (software and documentation). (Ondrej Vysoky - publication)

'The anti-ignitious fire escape', mid 19th century.(Ingenious&)

R11: When you consider that most ignitious stones are formed way below the surface, and they cool off and solidify at depths of 10 to 15 km below, and for periods of time from 3 billion to a few hundred million years work their way to the surface through erosion of maybe less than a mm per year, the supply is unending as this process is continuous. The supply won't stop till the sun cools. We still have a few billion years. Sven Rone(Advice wanted June 04)

Irving, your comments are always ignitious…Ah, it’s not a word apparently, but perhaps it should be?(Spring Poem in Winter « Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore Poetry)
    Last edited by lonelymelody; 26-Jul-2007 at 23:18.

• Post Thanks / Like

I am afraid I have a deep mistrust of the Internet in relation to unusual words. With reference to the examples you have found:

First - any sites relating to poetry are likely to throw up weird and wonderful words and usages.

Second - 19th century patent submissions can have peculiar words not found elsewhere.

Third - R11 is to me a clear mistake from a non-native - igneous rocks is what is meant.

• Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's a real word either, but I kind of like the way it sounds. When my daughter, a massively right-brained child, was small, she'd just make up words to suit herself. Two family favorites were "whobody" ("Whobody took my doll?") and, a little later on, "learnative" ("Don't buy cousin Jack a boring learnative present"). I still use that one.

[not a teacher, and apologizing in advance for being somewhat off-topic]

• Post Thanks / Like

Don't children come up with some wonderful words!