Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Does listening to podcasts help you?

Hi!

I have several questions to English teachers. (Sorry for the number of them! Would be great to get answers at least on some.)

Unfortunately, I've slightly mistyped in the post title -- my actual question could be summarized as "Does listening to podcasts help your students?".

Do you think that that listening to podcasts in English can have a tangible positive effect?
    If yes, did you notice any such effect?
    At what degree did listening to podcasts help compared to average students who only attended lessons and did some homework?
    How many students if any do now voluntarily listen to podcasts?
    Does number of such students increase over time?
    Do you recommend additional listening (in particular, podcasts) to your students?

Would appreciate if you could provide some examples from your practice.

I'd love to hear about English learners' personal experience too! Do you use podcasts in your learning process? If you do listen then: 1) Does it help you? 2) What topics of podcasts do you prefer?

Thank you!
    Last edited by anna_J; 24-Jul-2007 at 23:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does listening to podcasts help you?

Hi Salah, thanks a lot for your kind words! Could not reply on your private message -- it works only after 10 posts on the forum (and I'm new here). Will do once it's possible. Have a good time!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you really mean only podcasts or would this include any internet listening?

rogmck is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've 'tried' to learn Chinese (Mandarin) and have dabbled in listening to Podcasts. However, for my students I can't say that they produce a lot of language they listen to unless there's an activity/homework and additional feedback associated with it. Then again, any exposure to the language is better than none. If the students enjoy doing it, then something is probably going in... Just saying 'listen to this' without a follow up isn't necessarily an effective training method. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tdol, podcasts are really closer. What I mean is solely listening (regular) in one's spare time, not necessary having any transcripts / reading materials.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly, our links databse shows that there is greater interest among our users in standard listening sites than podcasts:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Li...sts/index.html
    http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Listening/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

rogmck, thanks for you replies! I was thinking about additional voluntary listening to content interesting for a particular student. Two main problems coming to mind: motivation (needs to be prefixed with self- I guess) and comprehension (no point in listening to what sounds like a noise). But if a topic is indeed important to a student and they believe they need the info, and the language level is comprehensible for them -- then such listening should probably improve their skills. What is interesting for me is how widely does this approach occur/work in practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Interestingly, our links databse shows that there is greater interest among our users in standard listening sites than podcasts:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Li...sts/index.html
    http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Listening/index.html
    Yes, difference in number of hits speaks for itself.

However, the breakdown is interesting:

Std. listening links, excluding radio (year - number of links added):
    2002 - 4
    2003 - 1
    2004 - 13
    2005 - 5
    2006 - 2

Std. listening links, only radio:
    2003 - 3
    2006 - 3

Podcasts links:
    2005 - 5
    2006 - 12
    2007 - 5

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some that are older, but the podcasts that have the higher numbers of votes were originally included in the Listening section. I think that the name might not be attracting some PC users. Also, many podcast sites are like blogs-they start out enthusiastic, then dry up. If you look through the podcasts, many have not been updated in a while.

I think that any extra practice is good and will be beneficial for students. However, any student that is going beyond the limits of their studies is by definition keener than those that don't, so to take those students and compare them to others risks a selection bias in a study.

A podcast is simply an MP3 file with possible RSS feeds and does not in itself offer anything that normal internet sites can offer. If we compare the 2005 links, where there is the greatest numerical comparison, podcasts don't come close. This is not because I am biased against podcast - on the contrary, I think they are a good thing, which is why I have included them - but they don't seem to be cutting the mustard at the moment.
    Last edited by Tdol; 26-Jul-2007 at 14:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Tdol, thanks for your comments. It's interesting that popular podcast links were originally in that other section. I agree with you that the name "podcast" is at least not very attracting for a majority of people (a new technical thing, a learnig curve etc.). Some dry up -- yes. As for the selection bias -- actually I'm after the keener part, so that's not a problem for me. Yes, simply an MP3 but when combined with an RSS and an aggregator program, new episodes get to your PC/iPod/mp3-player etc. pretty automatically -- I guess, RSS/feed is the key thing here . We'll see how it goes/develops. Maybe once it becomes the the mainstream.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast