• Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: TEFL vs CELTA vs TESOL

It is possible to take the course and to work, though a lot does depend on where you want to work. In some places there is a clear preference for native speakers, and it is a requirement in others, but obviously there are non-natives speakers teaching all over the world.

Post Thanks / Like

This response is quite concise and helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ICAL_Pete View Post
    To all intents and purposes TEFL = TESOL in terms of qualifications. A basic first job will usually require a degree and a TEFL certificate.

The CELTA is, in my opinion, a top end TEFL certificate. It is perhaps the most widely regarded. It is, however, a very intensive course and I believe it's best to have a couple of years experience before taking it.

What a lot of people do is take a simple TEFL certificate, teach for a while and then, if they decide they want to advance to DoS positions or higher up the chain they take a CELTA.

bwkcaj_ca is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

'CELTA is recognised the world over as the basic requirement for EFL teachers (not for ESL).'

And the 'basic requirement' for ESL teachers is . . .

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwkcaj_ca View Post
    'CELTA is recognised the world over as the basic requirement for EFL teachers (not for ESL).'

And the 'basic requirement' for ESL teachers is . . .
    Where?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there everyone,
    So it seems that CELTA is the way to go... does anyone know of any CELTA courses in Bali? I did a Google search and found a Trinity College of London TESOL Certificate (can't seem to post the link here, but you should be able to find it through google as well...).
    Does this sound like a good choice, or should I be strictly looking for a CELTA course? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. ;)

pickseh is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a 4 week CELTA course in the UK a few weeks ago. It was very hard work and intense but I loved it. I have no regrets whatsoever in doing it. The way I chose this course months ago was simply by looking at job vacancies over a period of weeks, to see what qualifications they were looking for. CELTA came up time and time again. I also feel that the practical teaching experience I gained on real life pupils was invaluable. It's just not the same as one of these cheaper distance learning/online TEFL courses. They're not as well recognised by employers around the world and I don't think they actually prepare you for the job itself as well either. You get what you pay for really, as with most things in life.

My advice: look at jobs and see what they are asking for. It's usually a TESOL/CELTA.

ckratz is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same question when I found this thread through a google search. I'm confused though because I had looked at a company, TEFL Institute, through which I could take a 4 week course like that of a CELTA certification course. It seems like everyone here is regarding TEFL as an online course? Even if the TEFL course is an in-classroom format as opposed to online, would you still recommend CELTA instead? Also, I'm having a hard time finding the official site for Cambridge's CELTA course. If anyone can be of help I would very much appreciate it!

Publius Syrus is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

missing parts of my message, see above :)
    newbie!
    Last edited by Publius Syrus; 04-Aug-2010 at 09:33. Reason: missing parts of msg

Publius Syrus is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ckratz View Post
    I had the same question when I found this thread through a google search. I'm confused though because I had looked at a company, TEFL Institute, through which I could take a 4 week course like that of a CELTA certification course. It seems like everyone here is regarding TEFL as an online course? Even if the TEFL course is an in-classroom format as opposed to online, would you still recommend CELTA instead? Also, I'm having a hard time finding the official site for Cambridge's CELTA course. If anyone can be of help I would very much appreciate it!
    Hello,

I am finding it also difficult to choose between the TESOL and the CELTA. However, after reading some forums and looking at the recognition, it does seem that the CELTA is more accredited, coming from the Cambridge University.

Craktz, here is the cambridge website, hope that'll do:
    www dot cambridgeesol dot org slash exams slash teaching-awards slash celta dot htlm

I have found TESOL online and TEFL online, intensive courses abroad but are they regarded "as serious as" the Cambridge or Trinity Qualification?

Thanks for your advice!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically, no. TESOL and TEFL are acronyms and are thrown around as if they were standard or recognised qualifications. They are not. Anyone can print a certificate with those initials and say they are offering a TESOL. There are good providers and bad. A serious issue is whether they have teaching practice- the CELTA and Trinity at least provide a guarantee that they have been observed in a classroom with students, most online courses cannot do this.

Caveat emptor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast