Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mary joe is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: wh?ch one ?s better way for easyer learn?ng engl?sh ? mus?c? gramer ?

Of course you must try to practice the right way blouen.

silenthill is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: whıch one ıs better way for easyer learnıng englısh ? musıc? gramer ?

i think both are important. first you should learn the grammar then you should see how it is used in lyrics. that will be really helpful for you to capture the grammar rules faster than it is supposed to be.

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

The most important thing is why you learn the language. If you want to write, grammar and style are very important. If you want to communicate, more important are vocabulary and pronunciation: you do not need grammar that much. This is at the very beginning of learning. After some time every single aspect of the language is equally important. It also depends on you native language and how you can manage to talk in English. There are some nations for which English is very difficult in pronunciation.

Note this is the view of a non-native English speaker.

Nyggus

jargon_dudette is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by l-u-c-i-f-e-r View Post
    heyy ı m alex

ın ur obınıon ? whıch one ıs better then the other? musıc(lyrıc)? or gramer ıs better way for learnıng englısh .... ı hope ıts better way for learng (musıc)anyway ... ı wıll waıt ur anvers...

thanks/ alex

Alex, never learn English from songs. Especially nowadays. They have what we call "license" to use incorrect grammar to fit the rhythm and beat of the song. For me i think the best way to really learn language is to watch NEWS with native speakers as newscasters. Or talkshows with sensible issues like Oprah(sometimes).

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

And if you wish to learn formal English, learn from books.

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    And if you wish to learn formal English, learn from books.
    Not all books! Take, for example, Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye". Would you say this is the best source to learn formal English from? There are also different formal languages, each of which has its own specific purposes and specificity, like vocabulary and sentence structure and all. Depending on what kind of language you aim to learn, choose books that are written in this language. The problem is when you read many books written in different languages; you have to be aware of it and always remember that your language may become an odd mix of style and types of languages.

Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

hi,

Whatever are our reasons for learning a foreign language, grammar is inevitable. We must learn the forms of the tenses, if we want to communicate as corectly as possible. Even though grammar may cause problems for foreign learners ( the past tense may cause problems because of the different ending of the verbs ex: see/saw/seen; question forms may also cause problems because of the inversion, etc ), music can help developing our language skills. The best way to learn a foreign language is, in my opinion, practice, in other words conversation/communication. Unfortunately, most of us do not have the possibility to communicate in a foreign language. ( the reasons are well known by each of us). If you do not have someone to talk to, after you have acquired the grammar part, the best way to expand your language skills is to read as much as possible. I can advise to read books. There are many kind of books. There are books for each of us: from beginners up to advanced levels.

Madox

TheKnower is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by l-u-c-i-f-e-r View Post
    heyy ı m alex

ın ur obınıon ? whıch one ıs better then the other? musıc(lyrıc)? or gramer ıs better way for learnıng englısh .... ı hope ıts better way for learng (musıc)anyway ... ı wıll waıt ur anvers...

thanks/ alex
    Hi Alex,

My stand is as follows : give much importance to learning the Grammar rules. The latter helps you to form and put your sentences/words using the correct structure. It is like building your house on a solid basis; the Grammar rules is the foundation whereas memorizing the songs lyrics is for decoration.

Post Thanks / Like

i think learnin sth through doin it is better..my teachers taught me grammar for 6 years.When it came to talkin,i was like deaf n dumb.Too much grammar is not ok i think.My friends from other countries learnt grammar while talkin..practisin really works.Doin the fill-in-the-blanks exercises is not efficent when compared with talkin about the- real- life situation exercises

Amela_Ze is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that you should first learn some basics of grammar and spellings. After you do that, you can try practicing reading and pronounciation. Take some easier literature, for beginners maybe, analyse the sentence, put new words onto a paper and try to memorize them. That's the best way of learning English on your own!
    In my opinion, of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast