• Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roslin Institute or the Roslin Institute

Below are given two sentences taken from two internet articles
    Roslin Institute has a long tradition of excellence in animal biosciences and we are now building on this to create a world class institute in the context of closer collaboration with partner organisations in the Edinburgh area.
    The Roslin Institute is a government research institute at The Bush, a village near Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland, that is sponsored by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council.

In the first sentence we do not use the definite article but in the second sentence "Roslin Institute" is preceded by the definite article. Since both are by native writers, both must be grammatically correct. Still I feel that there is some diference between the two. Could you help me with it?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Roslin Institute or the Roslin Institute

Welcome to the forums!

In the first, it appears to be a statement from the Institute, so it does not need an article as it is like saying "John Doe did something" - the name acts as the subject.

In the second, which appears to be a report about the Institute, as it is a specific organisation being discussed it requires the article.

Last edited by Red5; 26-Jul-2007 at 21:21.

balakrishnanijk is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Anglika
    Could you explain it in detail since I have never come across this rule? Does it apply to names of all institutes?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Niall
    Even though that has offered me some help and consolation,the more I have learnt about the definite article the more confused I have become because in an online grammar one comes across the following rule:
    "The" is used for many larger organisations and institutions (not commercial enterprises),including those with initials that are normally spelled out.
    The examples given in the book are:
    The Commonwealth, the Fed, the EU, the WHO, the BBC, the FDA and the IAEA.
    What is perplexing is the fact that when I read internet articles on such
    organisations as Amnesty International, Greenpeace and Human Rights Watch I do not see the definite article before them. Given below are some quotations from the Wikipedia:
    Amnesty International was founded in July 1961 by Peter Benenson, an English lawyer and communist who had converted to Roman Catholicism in 1958.
    Greenpeace is an international environmental organisation founded in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 1971.
    Human Rights Watch is a United States-based international non-governmental organisation that conducts research and advocacy on human rights.
    How is that?
    Does the fact that wikipedia people do not use the definite article before the names of these organisations mean that their English is wrong? Or can it be ascribed to some other rule unknown to me? Since there is so much confusion about the use of the definite article before the names of organisations and institutions, I am at sixes and sevens about which form is correct and acceptable. Please comment.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Niall
    Even though that has offered me some help and consolation,the more I have learnt about the definite article the more confused I have become because in an online grammar one comes across the following rule:
    "The" is used for many larger organisations and institutions (not commercial enterprises),including those with initials that are normally spelled out.
    The examples given in the book are:
    The Commonwealth, the Fed, the EU, the WHO, the BBC, the FDA and the IAEA.
    What is perplexing is the fact that when I read internet articles on such
    organisations as Amnesty International, Greenpeace and Human Rights Watch I do not see the definite article before them. Given below are some quotations from the Wikipedia:
    Amnesty International was founded in July 1961 by Peter Benenson, an English lawyer and communist who had converted to Roman Catholicism in 1958.
    Greenpeace is an international environmental organisation founded in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 1971.
    Human Rights Watch is a United States-based international non-governmental organisation that conducts research and advocacy on human rights.
    How is that?
    Does the fact that wikipedia people do not use the definite article before the names of these organisations mean that their English is wrong? Or can it be ascribed to some other rule unknown to me? Since there is so much confusion about the use of the definite article before the names of organisations and institutions, I am at sixes and sevens about which form is correct and acceptable. Please comment.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like