Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: would have

Post Thanks / Like

would have

hi!!
    i've got a doubt about a sentence:
    She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because in the evening she________________ a fancy dress party.

and I've got 3 options: will have, would have and has had. Is would have the correct one?why or why not?

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: would have

I would say: because in the evening (or: that evening)

- she was having a fancy dress party / she was going on a fancy dress party

or

-she would have a.. (future in the past: when the verb in the main clause is in the past tense, the verb in the subordinate clause - after 'because' - is future in the present)
    Last edited by bianca; 27-Jul-2007 at 23:23.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the answer!!! but I still have a doubt:

what do you mean with future in the present??? should I wtite will have?

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

What does "present in the future" mean? I`ve never heard of such a tense. I`ve only heard of present forms for the future, or future perfect tense, future perfect continuous tense, future in the past ,..

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daiana View Post
    hi!!
    She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because in the evening she________________ a fancy dress party.

and I've got 3 options: will have, would have and has had. Is would have the correct one?why or why not?
    It seems that none of the three options is correct. You cannot use "would have", either, because this verb tense [future in the past] is used in conditional sentences, [type II] , in reported speech as a past equivalent of the simple future tense , in past routines, and after the verb "wish".
    I`d use :
    She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because she was going to have / was having / was going to a fancy dress party that evening.

or

She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because she would have a fancy dress party as she always would [= used to] on Saturday evenings; this is the "past routine" usage of "future in the past"
    Last edited by Teia; 27-Jul-2007 at 22:43.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the answer!!! but I still have a doubt:

what do you mean with future in the present??? should I wtite will have?
    sorry Daiana, of course I meant 'future in the past' - I was only in a hurry to end my post. However, I wrote and underlined 'future in the past' at the beginning...
    Last edited by bianca; 27-Jul-2007 at 23:33.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=teia_petrescu;194048]It seems that none of the three options is correct. You cannot use "would have", either, because this verb tense [future in the past] is used in conditional sentences, [type II] , in reported speech as a past equivalent of the simple future tense , in past routines, and after the verb "wish".
    quote]

Future in the past is only used in conditional sentences?? Where did you get this from??

Actually, you contradict yourself. You wrote that, "Future in the past is used...as a past equivalent of the simple future tense." Doesn't this apply to Daiana's sentence, too?

As far as I know, future in the past is used to express the idea that in the past you thought something would happen in the future.
    Last edited by bianca; 28-Jul-2007 at 10:21.

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Daiana,

1. She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because in the evening she _____ a fancy dress party.

"That morning" in combination with "she was" suggests that the episode is complete and has no connection with the present. Therefore "will" + infinitive, which require a present/future context, are inappropriate.

"Has had" is also inappropriate, because that suggests that the party precedes the excitement.

"Would have" is not quite right here; where "would" is used for the "future in the past", it suggests an element of volition. If "would have" were correct, this would be the present version of the sentence:

2. ??She is very excited and can't do any housework this morning, because this evening she will have a fancy dress party.

Whereas the correct present versions would be:

3. She is very excited and can't do any housework this morning, because this evening she is having a fancy dress party. (If she is giving the party.)

4. She is very excited and can't do any housework this morning, because this evening she is going to a fancy dress party. (If she is merely attending the party.)

If we now flip these back into the past tense, we get:

5. She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because in the evening she was having a fancy dress party. (If she was giving the party.)

6. She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because in the evening she was going to a fancy dress party. (If she was merely attending the party.)

There is a third but perhaps less common option:

7. She was very excited and couldn't do any housework that morning, because in the evening she had a fancy dress party (to go to).

This reports "...in the evening she has a..."

All the best,

MrP

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for the answers!!!!!!! they 've been very helpful, I thought the options weren't correct but those were the ones given in the test.
    bianca I thought you meant future in the past, I asked just in case. thanks a lot 'cause you've answered me other questions too!!!

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

hi!!

"would have" is correct. "would" is commonly used for 'future in the past' to indicate that something will happen.
    The child was very excited all day because she knew that that night Santa would come. "she would have" is equivalent to "Santa would come".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast