Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: to get

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default to get

    I need to get the work done by tomorrow.

    Is this sentence grammatically and semantically perfect?

    If yes, what does it exactly mean?

    I understood it as, "I need to complete the work by tomorrow".

    Please help me.

  2. #2
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to get

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    I need to get the work done by tomorrow.

    Is this sentence grammatically and semantically perfect?

    If yes, what does it exactly mean?

    I understood it as, "I need to complete the work by tomorrow".

    Please help me.
    Here "need to" is equal with "must". So you can say: I must complete the work by tomorrow. I remember my Americam friend Ray Reeder used to say:"I need to do it by tomorrow" instead of "I must do it by tomorrow."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to get

    Thank you Harry Smith.
    So, you mean, that my original sentence is incorrect.

  4. #4
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to get

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Thank you Harry Smith.
    So, you mean, that my original sentence is incorrect.
    No, it's correct and it's AmE.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to get

    Thank you.
    Does the original sentence mean, "I must complete the work myself by tomorrow" or "I must complete the work with the help of someone"?

  6. #6
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: to get

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Thank you.
    Does the original sentence mean, "I must complete the work myself by tomorrow" or "I must complete the work with the help of someone"?
    You must do it yourself otherwise you should mention someone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •