Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Susie Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mike x
    Not at all, the forum is at http://www.englishforums.com/ >general English questions.

Thank you both again'
    Mike
    You're welcome.
    :D

CuriousT Guest

Susie,

Can I ask you a question? What variety of English do you speak? American, British, Australian, ...?

I'm asking this because I jumped to Mike's website and got curious about whether there is a difference among varieties of English in regard to this issue.

CuriousT

mike x Guest

Susie,

Just in case you are interested;
    http://www.geocities.jp/mikesenglish/
    The forum there is a new addition - only 2 days old!!

Susie Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousT
    Susie,

Can I ask you a question? What variety of English do you speak? American, British, Australian, ...?

I'm asking this because I jumped to Mike's website and got curious about whether there is a difference among varieties of English in regard to this issue.

CuriousT
    Good question! I'm an American who was partly brought up in Brazil and partly in the US. We always spoke English at home (my folks are from Nebraska and South Dakota) and I always went to American schools here in Brazil or in the US. I never attended Brazilian schools. Usually the teachers here in Brazil were Americans but one year I got an Irish teacher (Boy, it took me a week to really understand her!) and that same year I had contact with a teacher from England although she taught a lower grade. In spite of everything, I can still say that my accent is American. But look at it this way: there are many different accents inside the US and everybody can understand each another. There are not really so many differences in English around the world either. That's one reason I enjoy this forum - the differences make language (and life) much more interesting.

CuriousT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Good question! I'm an American who was partly brought up in Brazil and partly in the US. We always spoke English at home (my folks are from Nebraska and South Dakota) and I always went to American schools here in Brazil or in the US. I never attended Brazilian schools. Usually the teachers here in Brazil were Americans but one year I got an Irish teacher (Boy, it took me a week to really understand her!) and that same year I had contact with a teacher from England although she taught a lower grade. In spite of everything, I can still say that my accent is American. But look at it this way: there are many different accents inside the US and everybody can understand each another. There are not really so many differences in English around the world either. That's one reason I enjoy this forum - the differences make language (and life) much more interesting.
    Wow! You've had quite an experience! 8)
    Thank you for letting me know.

CuriousT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2