mik Guest

Smile romantically involved

Hi from Japan.I've been dating with american guy about 1.5years.
    Tell me the difference among be dating ,be seeing and romantically involved.and also difference between dear,sweetie.
    also I don't know what I call him except for his name.
    He becomes upset when I complain that he goes out with some of his female old friends(even with two but not stay ofcourse)
    Is it usual thing when you are single ??

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: romantically involved

I don't think there is any difference between "dating" and "seeing." Being "romantically involved" shows a little more commitment.

Dear, sweetie, honey, hun, and babe are all terms of endearment for someone you are romantically involved with.

Yes, it's very normal to go out with friends of the opposite sex - as friends - when you are dating other people. I'm married, and had dinner with a friend of the opposite sex just this week.

If he is going out with them on "dates" as opposed to just going out as friends, then he doesn't feel you have an "exclusive" relationship - when you are exclusive, you don't date other people. If that upsets you, then you need to talk to him about whether you want to both be exclusive.

BaRBiTcH is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for names to call your romantic partner, try this link: (Some of them are reeeally corny, but it's helped me too since I'm not exactly creative in that department)

Bored.com - Corny Names

Hope it helps and good luck!

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mik View Post
    Hi from Japan.I've been dating with american guy about 1.5years.
    Tell me the difference among be dating ,be seeing and romantically involved.and also difference between dear,sweetie.
    also I don't know what I call him except for his name.
    He becomes upset when I complain that he goes out with some of his female old friends(even with two but not stay ofcourse)
    Is it usual thing when you are single ??
    If he goes out with platonic female friends - that is, they just go out after work for dinner or drinks, something like that - it's perfectly acceptable in American culture. In fact, if a woman expresses discontent at such a situation, she may be viewed as "controlling" and "possessive," which sends up warning flags for many men. There must be a certain level of trust in any relationship. Does he object if you go out for a platonic dinner with male friends?

You say you've been "dating" him for a year and a half. In most cases, that would mean you're most definitely "romantically involved." In that case, you would refer to him as your "boyfriend" when talking to other people. As far as calling him something other than his name, does he call you any nicknames, like "sweetheart" or "baby" or "darling"? You can take your cues from him, to see how comfortable he is with those sort of endearments. If you're uncomfortable with that (due to cultural differences, perhaps), you can start out by using variations of his given name. For example, if his name is Michael, you can try calling him "Mikey" in playful moments. Or "Davey" or "Timmy" - some diminutive form of his first name. But always start out by only using such names when it's just the two of you together. If he doesn't object to it, and as you become more comfortable with it, you can then address him as "Mikey" when the two of you are out with your friends. It's a sort of bonding ritual then - it show that the two of you are close enough to have special names for one another.