Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Proofreading an evluation

Hi everyone! I know it's way too much to ask, but I was wondering if you could look at the following sentences and point out any serious mistakes . These sentences are not from one single evaluation; hence the fact that they sound kind of repetitive. I would appreciate any help!

Overall this time, trainees’ pronunciation is good. Furthermore, it is clear and easy to understand.

However, some trainees’ pronunciation tends to be slightly Japanese.
    You need to be more careful to avoid saying English words as if they were written in Katakana.

I always give the same advice to all my students: train your mouth muscles so they can get accustomed to producing the right sounds.
    Just knowing the words is not enough. As often as possible say the words aloud.

This time, most trainees have a good vocabulary base
    However, you need to make it a habit to look up words and not only memorize them but also try to use them in sentences.

And in order to communicate better, we need to expand our vocabulary daily. Try to learn a few terms or expressions every day and try to use them in speech whenever you can.

Grammar covered in class did not present the trainees with any particular problems.

But occasionally trainees tend to make mistakes in their speech. Especially, I’d recommend doing more exercises that would help them practice “verb tenses.”

To start with, try to make sure trainees avoid making mistakes in simple present, past and future tenses when they speak.
    I’d recommend spending more time on studying grammar on their own.

Trainees’ listening ability is quite good. But listening is one of the hardest skills to acquire.

Don’t try to understand every word—try to get the gist of what is being said.

Also, try to add more English into your daily life—listen to the radio and watch TV. Movies, too, can be a great and fun tool.

I don’t think it’s enough to hear English once a week. I’d suggest trying to get more English in your everyday life—through TV, radio, and movies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help! Proofreading an evluation

Quote Originally Posted by minamax View Post
    Hi everyone! I know it's way too much to ask, but I was wondering if you could look at the following sentences and point out any serious mistakes . These sentences are not from one single evaluation; hence the fact that they sound kind of repetitive. I would appreciate any help!

Hi! I'll be glad to help you out with my suggestions, with the disclaimer that I'm not a teacher.

Overall this time, trainees’ pronunciation is good. Furthermore, it is clear and easy to understand.

I would probably revise to, "During this time, the trainees' pronunciation was very good. They were clear and easy to understand."

However, some trainees’ pronunciation tends to be slightly Japanese.
    You need to be more careful to avoid saying English words as if they were written in Katakana.
    I would most likely say, "You should be more careful about not pronouncing English words as if they were written in Katakana."

I always give the same advice to all my students: train your mouth muscles so they can get accustomed to producing the right sounds.
    Just knowing the words is not enough. As often as possible say the words aloud.
    I would probably revise the last sentence to, "Say the words aloud as often as possible."

This time, most trainees have a good vocabulary base.
    However, you need to make it a habit to look up words and not only memorize them but also try to use them in sentences.

And in order to communicate better, we need to expand our vocabulary daily. Try to learn a few terms or expressions every day and try to use them in speech whenever you can.
    I would insert the word "new" into the last sentence, so that it would read, "Try to learn a few new terms or expressions every day and use them in speech whenever you can."

Grammar covered in class did not present the trainees with any particular problems.

But occasionally trainees tend to make mistakes in their speech. Especially, I’d recommend doing more exercises that would help them practice “verb tenses.”
    "But occasionally the trainees did make mistakes in their speech. I would especially recommend doing more exercises that would allow them to practice "verb tenses."

To start with, try to make sure trainees avoid making mistakes in simple present, past and future tenses when they speak.
    I’d recommend spending more time on studying grammar on their own.
    Maybe, "To start with, try to make sure that the trainees avoid making mistakes in the simple present, past, and future tenses when they speak. I'd also recommend that they spend more time studying grammar on their own."

Trainees’ listening ability is quite good. But listening is one of the hardest skills to acquire.

Don’t try to understand every word—try to get the gist of what is being said.

Also, try to add more English into your daily life—listen to the radio and watch TV. Movies, too, can be a great and fun tool.
    Perhaps, "Movies, too, can be very fun, and they are also a great tool for learning English."

I don’t think it’s enough to hear English once a week. I’d suggest trying to get more English in your everyday life—through TV, radio, and movies.
    Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Dear JLP, thank you so much for your help. You are right. With some of the changes that you've suggested, it does sound better! Thanks again

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minamax View Post

I would say:
    Overall, the trainees' pronunciation is good. It is clear and easy to understand.
    ~R

Post Thanks / Like

Dear RonBee, thank you for the suggestion! I appreciate you taking the time.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help! Proofreading an evaluation

You are quite welcome. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask them.