Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CuriousT Guest

Default have yet to do...

Dear teachers:

I have a question about a usage I've encountered recently. Could you read the following short passage first? It's about Jessica Lynch and Lynndie England.

"Lynch was lauded as a national hero; England has been lambasted as a national disgrace. While no one has yet to describe England as the anti-Christ they have come close. In the words of one of her neighbours, she is the 'anti-Jessica'."
    (quoted from http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...218457,00.html)

Now, what I'm curious about is the part "no one has yet to describe England as the anti-Christ".

I understand that "have yet to do..." means "haven't done...yet". If so, the above sentence can be paraphrased as: "no one hasn't described England as the anti-Christ yet", and it doesn't sound right, like double negation cases. The intended meaning seems to be: "no one has described England as the anti-Christ yet."

How do sentences like the above sound to you? Is this supposed to be a correct usage?

Thank you in advance for your help.

CuriousT

Susie Smith Guest

Default Re: have yet to do...

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousT
    Dear teachers:

I have a question about a usage I've encountered recently. Could you read the following short passage first? It's about Jessica Lynch and Lynndie England.

"Lynch was lauded as a national hero; England has been lambasted as a national disgrace. While no one has yet to describe England as the anti-Christ they have come close. In the words of one of her neighbours, she is the 'anti-Jessica'."
    (quoted from http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...218457,00.html)

Now, what I'm curious about is the part "no one has yet to describe England as the anti-Christ".

I understand that "have yet to do..." means "haven't done...yet". If so, the above sentence can be paraphrased as: "no one hasn't described England as the anti-Christ yet", and it doesn't sound right, like double negation cases. The intended meaning seems to be: "no one hasn't described England as the anti-Christ yet."

How do sentences like the above sound to you? Is this supposed to be a correct usage?

Thank you in advance for your help.

CuriousT
    No one has described England as the anti-Christ yet....

CuriousT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    No one has described England as the anti-Christ yet....
    Oops! That's what I intended to write.... Thank you, Susie.
    I corrected the relevant part in my previous message.

CuriousT

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"Nobody has yet to describe her as the anti-Christ" means nobody has described her that way yet. The sentence holds open the possibility that somebody might still do it.

:)

CuriousT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    "Nobody has yet to describe her as the anti-Christ" means nobody has described her that way yet. The sentence holds open the possibility that somebody might still do it.

RonBee,

Thank you for your reply.

If you say something like the following:

(1) Her critics have yet to describe her as the anti-Christ

it means "her critics haven't described her as the anti-Christ yet", doesn't it?

If you have "no one" instead as the subject as in the following:

(2) No one has yet to describe her as the anti-Christ

doesn't it mean "there is no one who hasn't described her as the anti-Christ yet," i.e., "everyone has described her as the anti-Christ"?

CuriousT

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

RonBee,

Thank you for your reply.

it means "her critics haven't described her as the anti-Christ yet", doesn't it?
    Yes. They haven't done so. It's possible that they will, but, of course, they might not.

doesn't it mean "there is no one who hasn't described her as the anti-Christ yet," i.e., "everyone has described her as the anti-Christ"?

CuriousT
    Not quite. You've got it the wrong way around. Nobody ("No one") has described her that way, and they might never do so.

CuriousT Guest

Yes. They haven't done so. It's possible that they will, but, of course, they might not.

Not quite. You've got it the wrong way around. Nobody ("No one") has described her that way, and they might never do so.
    Hmmm. This is more complicated than I thought....

Let's see if I understood you correctly.

So for you, does (1) mean (3), to be more exact?

(3) Her critics may describe her as the anti-Christ in the future (implication: they haven't done so).

Then, (2) means (4)?

(4) No one may describe her as the anti-Christ in the future (implication: no one has done so.)

If this is a correct understanding of your points, (4) does not seem to fit in the original context, though, does it? I may be confused....

CuriousT

Post Thanks / Like

While no one has yet to describe England as the anti-Christ they have come close.
    ...no one has yet to use (but the assumption is that they soon might use) the exact words "anti-Christ" to describe England.

"...no one hasn't described England as the anti-Christ yet",... (ungrammatical; double negative, as you noted).

All the best,

Post Thanks / Like

RonBee, I understand "the wrong way around". But what about "the right way around"?
    :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. This is more complicated than I thought....

Let's see if I understood you correctly.

So for you, does (1) mean (3), to be more exact?

(3) Her critics may describe her as the anti-Christ in the future (implication: they haven't done so).
    Yes. Yes, it's possible. It hasn't happened yet, but it is possible.

Then, (2) means (4)?
    (4) No one may describe her as the anti-Christ in the future (implication: no one has done so.)

If this is a correct understanding of your points, (4) does not seem to fit in the original context, though, does it? I may be confused....

CuriousT
    "No one may" carries the meaning of no one is allowed to or no one is permitted to. (Used in the positive, may means something similar to might. Used in the negative, may has to do with denial of permission. (It also has to do with the giving of permission in certain contexts. Example: "Q: May I go outside? A: Yes, you may?"))

What you should keep in mind is that 2 means the same thing as 1 or 3.

(I hope I have all those numbers right in my head. :wink: )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast