Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    Let the cat out of the bag

    someone said to me...
    "let me let the dog out of the bag" what does it mean?

  2. vv0510_vn's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 161
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Post Re: i don't know about this

    Hello,
    I have never heard "let the dog out of the bag". But I've heard "let the cat out of the bag", and this sentence means, to tell a secret or to show a secret and this secret is not a secret any more!

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: i don't know about this

    Quote Originally Posted by vv0510_vn View Post
    Hello,
    I have never heard "let the dog out of the bag". But I've heard "let the cat out of the bag", and this sentence means, to tell a secret or to show a secret and this secret is not a secret any more!
    Yep. If you let the cat out of the bag you tell somebody a secret.


  4. vv0510_vn's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 161
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Post Re: Let the cat out of the bag

    Thank you, Ron..

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,879
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: i don't know about this

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Yep. If you let the cat out of the bag you tell somebody a secret.

    So the quote the original (unregistered) poster saw - that used 'dog' instead of 'cat' - may have been adapting the fixed expression to refer to a secret about a dog.

    b

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: i don't know about this

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    So the quote the original (unregistered) poster saw - that used 'dog' instead of 'cat' - may have been adapting the fixed expression to refer to a secret about a dog.

    b
    Perhaps. Or maybe the poster was simply confused.

    ~R

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •