Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: a tot of vodka

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default a tot of vodka

    Would you rather say 'a tot of vodka' or just 'a litlle vodka'?

    E.g. follow the dish with a tot of/a little vodka

    Which phrase sounds better in English?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a tot of vodka

    Quote Originally Posted by black_velvet View Post
    Would you rather say 'a tot of vodka' or just 'a litlle vodka'?

    E.g. follow the dish with a tot of/a little vodka

    Which phrase sounds better in English?

    Thanks in advance.
    It depends on the context. 'A tot of vodka' makes it sound like a measurement, as a tot is a small vessel for measuring (unlike a glass). Also, for some reason, I think of 'a tot' as collocating with 'of rum' rather than 'of vodka'.

    In informal contexts, you could say 'a slug of ...' (although there I'd expect Scotch). Perhaps a shot would be best; go here shot: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com and scroll down to the 14th definition. . Or 'a drop of vodka'. There really are a lot of options, and even as a native speaker I find it hard to work out which is most appropriate. Sorry

    b

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a tot of vodka

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    . Or 'a drop of vodka'. There really are a lot of options, and even as a native speaker I find it hard to work out which is most appropriate. Sorry
    Well, but then vodka is not your national drink. Why should you bother?

    And if I need to say 'pour him.. a tot? vodka'

  4. #4
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a tot of vodka

    Quote Originally Posted by black_velvet View Post
    ...
    And if I need to say 'pour him.. a tot ? vodka'
    There I think I'd just say 'pour/give him another drink'. If the only bottle on the table is vodka, then there's no need to specify; and even if there's a range of possible drinks it would be understood that the drinker wanted more of the same. It would be up to the drinker, if he wanted, to ask for something else - e.g. 'Just lemonade this time please - I'm driving'.

    b

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a tot of vodka

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    There I think I'd just say 'pour/give him another drink'. If the only bottle on the table is vodka, then there's no need to specify; and even if there's a range of possible drinks it would be understood that the drinker wanted more of the same. It would be up to the drinker, if he wanted, to ask for something else - e.g. 'Just lemonade this time please - I'm driving'.

    b
    Thank you.

  6. #6
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a tot of vodka

    For me, "a tot of vodka" would have faintly humorous or at least whimsical overtones.

    MrP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk