Unregistered Guest

Question Proper Abstract Nouns

Aren't days, months, and holidays examples of proper, abstract nouns? Wednesday, June, Halloween, etc. - they are simply ideas, right?

Buddhaheart is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Proper Abstract Nouns

‘Months’ and ‘holidays’ are count (countable) nouns. ‘Wednesday’, ‘June’ & ‘Halloween’ are proper nouns. None of them are abstract (at least not grammatically). ‘Safety’, ‘happiness’ & ‘fulfillment’ are abstract nouns, for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Proper Abstract Nouns

Thanks for the reply... but here are more questions. Abstract nouns can be countable (three ideas, two principles, etc.), and I know that June and Halloween and Wednesday are proper nouns, but that doesn't mean they can't be abstract too, right? Also, I understand the concept of abstract nouns (love, jealousy, childhood, etc.). I have plenty of non-proper examples, what I'm wondering is are there proper abstract nouns? After all, you can't see, hear, smell, taste, or touch Wednesday. I've seen "hour" listed as an abstract noun in several places, if that is one, then it follows that "day" would be as well, and logically Wednesday would be too. Doesn't that make sense? Wednesday seems like an "idea" to me - something we've "made-up." I've also seen seasons listed as abstract - if that's correct and "fall" is an abstract, shouldn't "November" be too? Hopefully this isn't too confusing; I appreciate any feedback!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see why you can't also call them abstract nouns- 'Wednesday' has no physical existence and is a concept.

Buddhaheart is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, of course, proper nouns can be abstract, as Tdol pointed out. Do we then call or classify them as abstract proper nouns, i.e. proper nouns that are abstract in nature? I haven’t seen that done. If that’s the case, you would have to consider the other subclass concrete proper nouns (e.g. the name ‘John") as well!

‘Wednesday’, ‘Fall’ & ‘November’ are proper nouns & perhaps abstract in nature, ‘hour’ & ‘day’ are common nouns and again perhaps abstract in nature. Can those proper nouns ( & common ones)be then listed as abstract nouns? I don’t know and I believe that’s what you’re asking. I might perhaps go as far as calling them abstract proper (or common) nouns.

How would you classify the noun ‘God’ then? Proper? Abstract?Abstract proper? Proper abstract?