Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default comprehension check

1. Even the prospect of negociating a salary increase brings sweaty palms to many able employees.
    ==>It means those capable employess who get their hopes up for a raise feel uneasy and nervous. Is that right?

2. If you receive confirmation that you are significant off market, then you can ask for more than 10 per cent as long as you can justify a strong performance.
    ==> I don't get it. It made me think that you are not so familiar with the market behavior that you get knocked out. But how can one have salary increase without having abundant maketing experience?

3.In an earlier era, personal relationship between supervisor and employees greased the wheels of salary negociations, and asking for a rasie was an expected ritual.
    ==>In the earlier time, establishing good relationship between supervisor and employees makes increasing salary easier. Employees inclinded to step into their supervisor's office and tried to get the ball rolling. Is that right?

Thank you very much in advance.

All the best,
    sabrina

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right. A person with sweaty palms is uneasy and nervous.

I do not know what off market means. That seems to be a term that applies especially to the business world. Perhaps this will help:

If you grease the wheels of something you make it smoother and easier.

A ritual is something that has a set pattern to it and, depending on the ritual, is connected to a particular activity.

:)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

I do not know what off market means. That seems to be a term that applies especially to the business world. Perhaps this will help:

A ritual is something that has a set pattern to it and, depending on the ritual, is connected to a particular activity.

Thanks a million! Is my comprehension of #3 correct? I know the meaning of 'ritual', but i'm a bit lost in this case. Would you pls help more?

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

Thanks a million! Is my comprehension of #3 correct? I know the meaning of 'ritual', but i'm a bit lost in this case. Would you pls help more?
    Sorry. I was paying too much attention to the words in bold. I missed that part earlier. :(

Re:
    • In the earlier time, establishing good relationship between supervisor and employees makes increasing salary easier. Employees inclinded to step into their supervisor's office and tried to get the ball rolling. Is that right?

Having a personal relationship with somebody doesn't necessarily mean it is a good relationship, but that is, of course, what you would wish for. :)

Having a personal relationship with your supervisor means you can at least ask for a salary increase. Of course, that doesn't mean you will get it. :wink:

(Don't use "tried to" in "get the ball rolling". You either get the ball rolling or you don't.)

8)

Post Thanks / Like

"sweaty palms" Chinese English students asked to produce oral English for the first or 50th time. Scared, fearful, nervous.

"off market" You have a unique talent or are not looking for a job elsewhere.

"grease the wheels" Often used to refer to a bribe. In China it is "guanxi."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    "sweaty palms" Chinese English students asked to produce oral English for the first or 50th time. Scared, fearful, nervous.

"off market" You have a unique talent or are not looking for a job elsewhere.

"grease the wheels" Often used to refer to a bribe. In China it is "guanxi."

There are cases of sweaty head as well.

Thanks for your 'off market' one. I got it.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

In British English, we say 'grease someone's palms'for bribes.

Post Thanks / Like

The squeeky wheel gets the greese.

The squeeky palm gets the greese? lol OIE

Post Thanks / Like

"Greeser" fixer or in the 1950's a person who plastered his hair down with hair tonic and wore leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Squeaky / Grease

FRC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast