Post Thanks / Like

Default came by, came around

Soon, a warrior came. The old woman called him and gave him the letter. "Please read this letter for me." The warrior took the letter and looked at it. Tears welled up in his eyes. He began to cry bitterly.
    The old woman was shocked. "Is something wrong with my son? How is he?" She began to ask.
    But the warrior did not answer. He only cried more. Now the old woman was worried. "I am sure, I am sure ! Something dreadful has happened to my son." She began to cry too.
    A little later, a pedlar came by. He saw the two crying. He sat next to them and joined in their crying.
    Next, a man came around. He saw the three of them crying loudly, What's the matter?" he asked.

[Source : my notebook]

I understood the "came by" in this sentence as, "came near to that three pesons". And, I have no idea about "came around", what it could mean. In a dictionary, there is no proper meaning of "came around".

Please help me about the "came by" and "came around" in this context.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: came by, came around

Suggestions, corrections, and answers to questions

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Soon, a warrior came. The old woman called him and gave him the letter. "Please read this letter for me." The warrior took the letter and looked at it. Tears welled up in his eyes. He began to cry bitterly.
    The old woman was shocked. "Is something wrong with my son? How is he?" She began to ask.
    But the warrior did not answer. He only cried more. Now the old woman was worried. "I am sure, I am sure ! Something dreadful has happened to my son." She began to cry too.
    A little later, a pedlar came by. He saw the two crying. He sat next to them and joined in their crying.
    Next, a man came around. He saw the three of them crying loudly, What's the matter?" he asked.
    Soon, a warrior came by. The old woman called to him and gave him the letter. "Please read this letter for me," she said. The warrior took the letter and looked at it. Tears welled up in his eyes. He cried bitterly. The old woman was shocked. "Is something wrong with my son? How is he?" But the warrior did not answer. He only cried more. Now the old woman was worried. "I am sure, I am sure something dreadful has happened to my son." She began crying too. A little later, a pedlar came by. He saw the two crying. He sat next to them and joined in their crying. Next, a stranger came by, He saw the three people crying loudly. "What's the matter?" he asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    [Source : my notebook]

I understood the "came by" in this sentence as, "came near to that three pesons". And, I have no idea about "came around", what it could mean. In a dictionary, there is no proper meaning of "came around".

Please help me about the "came by" and "came around" in this context.
    Came by is came near, but came around is something else entirely. Came around means came to agree with. (Example: "He doesn't get it yet, but he'll come around.")

~R