Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: ???

  1. T
    Guest
    #1

    ???

    Local journalists who were invited to sample the dishes reportedly refused on health grounds.
    what does 'refuse on the health grounds'?
    what did those journalist refuse to do? I don't know what's that!

    ...---...
    S O S

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 47,082
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    They refused to eat the food offered.

  2. T
    Guest
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    They refused to eat the food offered.
    I've just know "health food", "health service", "health center",
    But really I've never heard of that "health grounds"....

  3. Susie Smith
    Guest
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by T
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    They refused to eat the food offered.
    I've just know "health food", "health service", "health center",
    But really I've never heard of that "health grounds"....
    They refused to eat the food offered because it wouldn't be good for their health.


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 67
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by T
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    They refused to eat the food offered.
    I've just know "health food", "health service", "health center",
    But really I've never heard of that "health grounds"....
    They refused to eat the food offered because it wouldn't be good for their health.
    Dictionary.com
    Grounds:
    The underlying condition prompting an action; a cause. Often used in the plural: grounds for suspicion; a ground for divorce. See Synonyms at base1.

    They refused the food, the underlying condition being their health.

  4. Susie Smith
    Guest
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by queenmaabd
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by T
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    They refused to eat the food offered.
    I've just know "health food", "health service", "health center",
    But really I've never heard of that "health grounds"....
    They refused to eat the food offered because it wouldn't be good for their health.
    Dictionary.com
    Grounds:
    The underlying condition prompting an action; a cause. Often used in the plural: grounds for suspicion; a ground for divorce. See Synonyms at base1.

    They refused the food, the underlying condition being their health.
    Right!
    Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English - Ground (usually plural) a reason, especially one that makes you think that something is true or correct

    "They refused the food for health reasons." is another way it could be said.

    :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •