Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: To tdol

  1. #11
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use a comma before 'and' when I feel that the and clause is less important than the rest of the sentence. Here, I'd use it because it's seems to be an additional comment.

    PS- I'm not sure that I get this:
    "...that (a), and (b)", is ",and (b)"

  2. #12
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    PS- I'm not sure that I get this:
    "...that (a), and (b)", is ",and (b)"
    ;-)
    I meant to say " if there is a "...that (a), and (b)" construction, is ",and (b)" included in the "that-clause?".

    "And" is a conjunction, right? So I'm wondering if the "that-clause" includes not only (a), but also the ",and-(b)" part, in the same way as it includes ",even if (b)".

    By the way, I don't really understand this part of your comments: "the and clause is less important".

  3. #13
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If the aprt of the sentence after the conjunction is less important than the other part, then I use a comma.

  4. #14
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Long time, no see, Mike! How (and where) have you been?

    (Perhaps this person would be glad to hear from you:http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/vi...highlight=mike)

    OK, what about this one?:

    I lean toward the idea that wisdom comes with age, which you can bet no one young ever says or thinks. The truth is that a person of seventy is a totally different person than a person of twenty ,and a comparison or their intellect is impractical.

    Can I apply the same rule as you and tdol mentioned above?; in "...that (a), and (b)", is ",and (b)" usually included in the noun clause?

    If there is no comma inserted before "and", I won't get confused at all. But whenever there is a comma before "and" in such cases, I get confused quite often...
    I'm not sure I signed on to that rule. In this case, the comma is needed because one has two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction. The sense of that sentence is that the final clause is part of the "truth", so I would say it is part of the noun clause that explains what the "truth" is.

  5. #15
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Good example, Mike.
    Thanks, T. :D

  6. #16
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Long time, no see, Mike! How (and where) have you been?

    (Perhaps this person would be glad to hear from you:http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/vi...highlight=mike)
    I responded to Jiang. I must say that I was deeply touched by the messages that I received from members of this forum. You guys are great.

    There will be times when I am absent for a few days. Duty calls!

  7. #17
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Long time, no see, Mike! How (and where) have you been?

    (Perhaps this person would be glad to hear from you:http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/vi...highlight=mike)
    I responded to Jiang. I must say that I was deeply touched by the messages that I received from members of this forum. You guys are great.

    There will be times when I am absent for a few days. Duty calls! :shock:
    You are a very busy man here as a teacher and there as a vet, which I think is the indication that everybody loves you!

  8. #18
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    I'm not sure I signed on to that rule. In this case, the comma is needed because one has two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction. The sense of that sentence is that the final clause is part of the "truth", so I would say it is part of the noun clause that explains what the "truth" is.
    Although you are not sure that you agreed on the rule, I think your interpretation is based on it: ",and a comparison or their intellect is impractical" is part of the noun clause that explains what the truth is.

    Now, could you please show me an example, which shows the case where ",and (b)"-part is excluded in "...that (a), and (b)"?

    I love your smart examples.

  9. #19
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Long time, no see, Mike! How (and where) have you been?

    (Perhaps this person would be glad to hear from you:http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/vi...highlight=mike)
    I responded to Jiang. I must say that I was deeply touched by the messages that I received from members of this forum. You guys are great.

    There will be times when I am absent for a few days. Duty calls!
    You are a very busy man here as a teacher and there as a vet, which I think is the indication that everybody loves you!
    There is an old saying:

    If you want something done, give it to a busy man. +|

    I prefer Newton's version: Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion; bodies at rest tend to stay at rest.

  10. #20
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    I'm not sure I signed on to that rule. In this case, the comma is needed because one has two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction. The sense of that sentence is that the final clause is part of the "truth", so I would say it is part of the noun clause that explains what the "truth" is.
    Although you are not sure that you agreed on the rule, I think your interpretation is based on it: ",and a comparison or their intellect is impractical" is part of the noun clause that explains what the truth is.

    Now, could you please show me an example, which shows the case where ",and (b)"-part is excluded in "...that (a), and (b)"?

    I love your smart examples.
    Clauses can attach themselves (or not) to just about anything dedending on the logic of a sentence.

    The truth is that I was home alone on Saturday night, and I hope you believe that.

    In this case, the final clause is not part of the noun clause. It is a separate thought. :wink:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dear Tdol...omit
    By wendy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-May-2004, 17:06
  2. Dear Tdol
    By wendy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-May-2004, 23:16
  3. Dear Tdol
    By wendy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-May-2004, 10:35
  4. to Tdol
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2004, 18:36
  5. TO TDOL AND MIKENEWYORK.
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2004, 00:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk