crussell is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question is or are? and State of state

Question 1:

Should this sentence say is or are?

Course materials reserved by the faculty is available at the Circulation desk.

I thought it should be are instead of is - materials are?

Question 2:

I thought that if one said State of Utah, State would be capitalized, however, I have read various capitalization rules that states that it should not be. ??

THANKS!

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: is or are? and State of state

Quote Originally Posted by crussell View Post
    Question 1:

Should this sentence say is or are?

Course materials reserved by the faculty is available at the Circulation desk.

I thought it should be are instead of is - materials are?

Question 2:

I thought that if one said State of Utah, State would be capitalized, however, I have read various capitalization rules that states that it should not be. ??

THANKS!
    Are is correct, I think. As to your second question try to say like this:The state of Utah.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your response, but how can I be sure about the are or is? This was in a brochure that several professors proofread -- so, I want to make sure before I bring it to their attention.

Thanks!

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crussell View Post
    Thank you for your response, but how can I be sure about the are or is? This was in a brochure that several professors proofread -- so, I want to make sure before I bring it to their attention.

Thanks!
    Can you give the context?
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 08-Aug-2007 at 17:28.

Post Thanks / Like

• roper nouns are capitalized. Common nouns are not.
    I agree with the usage of are or is, however, I'm not sure about the capitalization of state.

A proper noun is a specific person, place, or thing, while a common noun is just a general person, place, or thing.
    Common Nouns Proper Nouns
    state New Jersey

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to Utah's website and click on "About Utah," you'll also read, "Visit this page to learn more about the symbols that represent the state of Utah." State is capitalized only when it follows the name of the state (New York State) or is part of some other name. Or, of course, when it's used in a title. Capitalization Rules: Eight Words You Usually Shouldn’t Capitalize .: Writing911

I agree that course materials most definitely are. You might want to approach these proofreading professors delicately---perhaps the sentence read "course material requested...is" at some point. I remember really pissing off a professor/boss by pointing out his flout/flaunt error.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your explanation of state -- I have a better understanding of when to capitalize it.

Also, thank you for your approach advice -- I plan to use it.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Post Thanks / Like

But you wouldn't say, "the Country of England" or "the Continent of Africa." "Utah" is the name of the state, just like "England" is the name of the country. And "Republic of Senegal" is the name of the country, and "District of Columbia" is the name of the federal district that contains Washington, D.C.

What I don't understand is why the style books want us to capitalize "state" when it follows the name. That seems unnecessary and inconsistent to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the British would write, "I hope to move to the bustling City of London next year," but I assure you that in the US those "official" state names are only used on "official" things like proclamations or state seals. And maybe on begging letters from politicians ("With your help, I will proudly represent our great State of Alabama for another two years...").

At the same Wikipedia website, under "Origin of States' Names," we read "Formally referred to as the State of Rhode Island..." but later in the same paragraph, "The state of Washington was named after George Washington."

I admit that crussell did not give us context. Perhaps he or she is designing letterhead for the "Utah, the Beehive State." In that case, crussell, do go ahead and capitalize :)

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lawyers like to capitalize. They will use City or State when they want to refer to them as a legal entity.

The City will... such rights remain the jurisdiction of the State. It's like they are using City or State as subsitutes for the proper names.

I would not capitalize state in the state of Utah unless I was referring to the state as a legal entity.