Post Thanks / Like

Default Please correct my sentences.

{the phone rang and Mr. A is getting it). Now conversation is over, and Mr. A is away from the phone.

Mr. B : How called you now?
    Mr. A : My brother
    Mr. B : Why?
    Mr. A : I told my brother to get a pen from a shop and he went off to get it. After he got the pen, he have called me.

Please correct my sentences.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please correct my sentences.

The phone is ringing and Mr. A is getting it. Now the conversation is over, and Mr. A has hung up the phone.

Mr. B : Who called you just now?
    Mr. A : My brother.
    Mr. B : Why?
    Mr. A : I told my brother to get a pen from a shop, and he went off to get it. After he got the pen, he called me.

aliyah is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Please correct my sentences.

How do i say that in english...

Det som ligger bak oss og det som ligger foran oss er ingen ting mot det som ligger inni oss (norwegian)
    Ce qui se trouve en arrière et devant c'est rien comparé à ce qui se trouve dedans-...(france)

the things which lies behind uss and the things which lies infront of uss is nothing compared to which lies in side (of uss.)

what lies behind uss and what lies infrnt of uss is nothing compared to what lies inside of us....

plz write to me in proper english which sounds more real......i know there is somthig which does not seem corret but i really dont know what it can be...
    Last edited by aliyah; 10-Aug-2007 at 17:27. Reason: forgot to write in french

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Casiopea.

But I couldn't understand why you used the present continuous "is ringing" because the phone was ringing before Mr. A got it. At the time of writing, by me, the sentence, Mr. A was getting it i.e. answering/talking on phone and the phone rang before he getting(talking/answering) it.

Finally, what I mean is, I would have written that sentence as, "The phone rang and Mr. A is getting(talking/answering on the phone) it"

Please help me.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aliyah View Post

Det som ligger bak oss og det som ligger foran oss er ingen ting mot det som ligger inni oss (norwegian)
    Ce qui se trouve en arrière et devant c'est rien comparé à ce qui se trouve dedans-...(france)

the things which lies behind uss and the things which lies infront of uss is nothing compared to which lies in side (of uss.)

what lies behind uss and what lies infrnt of uss is nothing compared to what lies inside of us....

plz write to me in proper english which sounds more real......i know there is somthig which does not seem corret but i really dont know what it can be...
    Try this:
    What lies behind us and what lies before us is nothing compared to what lives within us.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 10-Aug-2007 at 18:15.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aliyah View Post

Welcome to the forums, Aliyah.

It is politer to start a new thread for your queries and not impose them on other people's threads. I hope Barb's answer helped you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary
    But I couldn't understand why you used the present continuous "is ringing" ...
    Tense consistency and sequencing, user_gary.

Ex: The phone is ringing and Mr A is getting it.
    Ex: The phone rang and Mr A got it.
    Ex: The phone rang, Mr A got it, talked for a bit, then hung up.