Thread: come up

Post Thanks / Like

come up

The data has come up in the page, let see.

I have appointed you as a watchman to that(the enemy) house because I wanted you to act like a spy for me. I am sure there used to discussion on every Sunday night among the family members. As you know, today is Sunday, so be careful about the matters which come up in the discussion.

Are thse sentences correct?

Please help me.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: come up

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    The data has come up in the page, let see. This will be better as two sentences: The data has come up. Let's see what it says.

I have appointed you as a watchman to that(the enemy) house because I wanted you to act like a spy for me. I instructed you to watch the house because I wanted you to be my spy.

I am sure there used to discussion on every Sunday night among the family members. As you know, today is Sunday, so be careful about the matters which come up in the discussion. I am sure that every Sunday night the the family used to have a discussion. As you know, today is Sunday so be careful about what comes up in the discussion

Are these sentences correct? No - my suggestions given. What are you trying to clarify in these sentences?

Please help me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I want to learn the usage of the phrasal verb "come up" on this thread.
    Thank you very much Anglika.
    You have corrected my sentences as to the context. But I think, you agree, most of my sentences are correct at least as to grammar.
    Am I right?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they are not correct. I would not have had to rewrite them if they were.

The data has come up in the page, let see. "on the page" - but if this is computer, more likely "on the screen". You have two sentences in this so the comma is incorrect.

I have appointed you as a watchman to that(the enemy) house because I wanted you to act like a spy for me. This is an awkward and clearly non-native English sentence. "watchman" is an incorrect word in the context. "To act like a spy for me" - "to act as a spy" is all that is needed.

I am sure there used to discussion on every Sunday night among the family members. As you know, today is Sunday, so be careful about the matters which come up in the discussion. "there used to discussion" : there is no verb "discussion", to it must either be "there used to be a discussion" or it needs rephrasing . "family members" - it would be more usually just "the family " or "members of the family".

The last sentence is the only one that is fully correct.