Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Susie Smith Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    A friend of mine had a pupil who said "Ain't's wrong, innit?" or the other way round. Either way, it struck me as a magnificent question.
    What do you think about adding "antagonym" to the glossary? :wink:
    Hear, hear!

    :D :D :D

  2. #12
    Susie Smith Guest

    Default Re: Difination ten examples of contranyms,oxymorons, palindr

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

    Great! I realized there was something strange about it, but I couldn't find contranym in my American Heritage Dictionary. I can't find antagonym either, so it must not be a very good dictionary. Thanks for putting me straight. :wink:

    PS Just checked. Neither word is in my Longman or in my Webster. :(
    These words are somewhat new. They don't appear in any of my dictionaries, even the unabridged ones. If one does a search for "contranym" one onelook.com, the only hit is good old TDOL's entry in the UsingEnglish glossary. If we are nice to him, maybe he will add antagonym to the glossary. :wink:
    That makes me feel a little better. What did they call them when I went to school? I can't remember their being called anything.

  3. #13
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,003
    Post Thanks / Like

  4. #14
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Difination ten examples of contranyms,oxymorons, palindr

    Thanks for the list, Mike.

  5. #15
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Difination ten examples of contranyms,oxymorons, palindr

    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

    Great! I realized there was something strange about it, but I couldn't find contranym in my American Heritage Dictionary. I can't find antagonym either, so it must not be a very good dictionary. Thanks for putting me straight. :wink:

    PS Just checked. Neither word is in my Longman or in my Webster. :(
    These words are somewhat new. They don't appear in any of my dictionaries, even the unabridged ones. If one does a search for "contranym" one onelook.com, the only hit is good old TDOL's entry in the UsingEnglish glossary. If we are nice to him, maybe he will add antagonym to the glossary. :wink:
    That makes me feel a little better. What did they call them when I went to school? I can't remember their being called anything.
    They didn't have names before this.

  6. #16
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    http://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/antagonym.html
    Thank you, lad. :D

  7. #17
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Difination ten examples of contranyms,oxymorons, palindr

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Thanks for the list, Mike.
    You're welcome, T. :wink:

  8. #18
    Susie Smith Guest

    Default Re: Difination ten examples of contranyms,oxymorons, palindr

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

    Great! I realized there was something strange about it, but I couldn't find contranym in my American Heritage Dictionary. I can't find antagonym either, so it must not be a very good dictionary. Thanks for putting me straight. :wink:

    PS Just checked. Neither word is in my Longman or in my Webster. :(
    These words are somewhat new. They don't appear in any of my dictionaries, even the unabridged ones. If one does a search for "contranym" one onelook.com, the only hit is good old TDOL's entry in the UsingEnglish glossary. If we are nice to him, maybe he will add antagonym to the glossary. :wink:
    That makes me feel a little better. What did they call them when I went to school? I can't remember their being called anything.
    They didn't have names before this.

    Well, if it didn't have a name, did it exist? :? (Now I feel a whole lot better.) :D

  9. #19
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Difination ten examples of contranyms,oxymorons, palindr

    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

    Well, if it didn't have a name, did it exist? :? (Now I feel a whole lot better.) :D
    Well, sure they existed. I guess the conflicting definitions bothered someone enough to name the offenders. :wink:

  10. #20
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Those are wonderful examples, Mike and Susie. (Or Susie and Mike.)

    :D

    Mike, if Tdol is T does that mean I am R?

    :wink:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •