Post Thanks / Like

Could anyone pls give me a hand~

Hi Teachers and Scholars,

Pls helps me to improve my english writing skills, in order to succeed on the IELTS exma.

Thanks!!

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should read only those books that are about real events, real people, and established facts.
    Use specific reasons and details to support your opinion. (Topic)

When books were no more contained about fictions, fairy tales, and miracles, our life would become boring and unexciting. In my opinion, I strongly disagree with this statement about people should read books only about real events, real people, and facts. In this essay, I will mention about the advantages of fiction books in our life.

It is unreasonable for children to read books only contain real facts, and events. The world is sometimes too complicated for them to understand, especially when they are young. Imagine for example situation, what happen if a six years old child were requested to read books about WWII and French Revolution? Would that be too complicated for them? On the other hand, Children should be encouraged to read fiction books in their childhood life. It is because fiction books can enrich their imagination, develop their creativities, and also encourage them to break limits and make new inventions.

Many people claim that fiction books barely give enjoyment to people, but in most time, it is useless. However, fiction books play an essential role in our society. Take fairy tales for example. As we know, many great fairy tales are still so popular among us hundred of years, such as, “Snow White”, “Sleeping Beauty”. Fairy tales educated us about what is good and what is evil, even it is all about fiction. Indeed, fairy tales are indispensable companion of children.

To conclude, for those people who disagree with the advantages of fiction books, I would say that our unlimited imaginations will never be satisfied with those books only provide us real events, real facts without any fantasies.
    Last edited by skymoon; 13-Aug-2007 at 16:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Could anyone pls give me a hand~

There is a lot of truth in fiction I am always told.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ironperal,

Thanks for your help. Beside grammar, do you think the essay is't coherence enough?

skymoon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skymoon View Post
    Hi Teachers and Scholars,

Pls help me to improve my English writing skills, in order to succeed on the IELTS exams.

Thanks!!

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should read only those books that are about real events, real people, and established facts.
    Use specific reasons and details to support your opinion. (Topic)

[If books no longer] contained fiction, fairy tales, [or] miracles, our [lives] would become boring and unexciting. In my opinion, I strongly disagree with [the idea that] people should read books only about real events, real people, and facts. In this essay, I will [describe] the advantages of [reading] fiction books.

It is unreasonable for children to read books only contain real facts and events. The world is sometimes too complicated for them to understand, especially when they are young. Imagine, for example, what [would] happen if a six year old child were requested to read books about WWII and [the] French Revolution. Would that be too complicated for them? [Of course]. On the other hand, children [can often more easily grasp ideas that are presented in a fictional format--this insertion is to connect what you will say in your next sentences and paragraphs about fiction] and should be encouraged to read fiction books in their childhood life. Fiction books can enrich their imaginations, develop their creativities, and also encourage them to break limits and make new inventions.

Many people claim that fiction books barely give enjoyment to people, [and] in most time, [reading] it is [a] useless [waste of time]. However, fiction books play an essential role in our society. Take fairy tales, for example. As we know, many great fairy tales are still so popular among us [after] hundred[s] of years. [These include] “Snow White” [and] “Sleeping Beauty”. Fairy tales educated us about the [difference between] good and evil, [and they were] fiction. Indeed, fairy tales are [an] indispensable companion [for] children.

To conclude, for those people who disagree with the advantages of fiction books, I would say that our unlimited imaginations will never be satisfied with those books [that] only [describe] real events [and provide us with] real facts without any fantasies.
    As usual, I am in brackets. I think you made some excellent points here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skymoon View Post
    Hi ironperal,

Thanks for your help. Beside grammar, do you think the essay is't coherence enough?

skymoon
    I believe "coherent" is the word you're looking for. And I'm sure this is a typo, but "is't" should be "is."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi JLP,

Thanks for your instruction.

skymoon

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Could anyone pls give me a hand~

Yes your essay is very coherent and interesting skymoon. I enjoyed reading it.