Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I say these?

1) Ours is a developing country, and that means that we cannot afford to carry out equally rigid environmental measures as developed countries like Japan or Germany.

2) However, that should not serve as an excuse for us not to care about nature. Because the environmental problems are already so serious that we cannot stand idlely by without taking any effective actions.

3) In fact, we've already seen some positive examples that people turn garbage into useful material, which could be used for economic growth.

Thanks a lot!
    :wink:

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I say these?

1) Ours is a developing country, and that means that we cannot afford to carry out equally rigid environmental measures as developed countries like Japan or Germany.

I'd change the second part a bit- we cannot afford to implement as rigid environmental measures as developed countries like Japan or Germany.

2) However, that should not serve as an excuse for us not to care about nature. Because the environmental problems are already so serious that we cannot stand idlely by without taking any effective actions.

I'd delete 'that' after serious

3) In fact, we've already seen some positive examples that people turn garbage into useful material, which could be used for economic growth.

examples of people turning garbage into useful materials

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I say these?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe

Thanks a lot!
    I think the first sentence would read better as:

[quote="Joe"]1) Ours is a developing country, and that means that we cannot afford to operate under environmental rules as rigid as those in place in developed countries like Japan or Germany.

or

Ours is a developing country, and that means that we cannot afford to operate under environmental rules equal to the rigid ones in place in developed countries like Japan or Germany.

The second "sentence" of #2, is not a sentence. It works if you take out "that" and place a comma after "serious".

The third should be "examples of people turning...".