Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: so, so that, or because?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Now that you state it that way, I have less problem with "because". It can also state the reason for shaking the bag. I still prefer "so that", but I understand your use of "because". :wink:
    Thank you for understanding my use of 'because.' I also accept the way you explain "so that" here, it fits in better than "because".
    There are so many constructions in English that overlap.

    Not only in English, but in Mandarin.

  2. #12
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: so, so that, or because?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Now that you state it that way, I have less problem with "because". It can also state the reason for shaking the bag. I still prefer "so that", but I understand your use of "because". :wink:
    Thank you for understanding my use of 'because.' I also accept the way you explain "so that" here, it fits in better than "because".
    There are so many constructions in English that overlap.

    Not only in English, but in Mandarin.
    No doubt. There is a Chinese bank in New York with its name in Chinese characters on the outside wall. A news channel interviewed about 6 Chinese speakers from New York's Chinatown. They received six different translations of the characters. :wink:

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: so, so that, or because?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    No doubt. There is a Chinese bank in New York with its name in Chinese characters on the outside wall. A news channel interviewed about 6 Chinese speakers from New York's Chinatown. They received six different translations of the characters. :wink:

    I'm glad I am able to understand Chinese effortlessly. <grin>

  4. #14
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: so, so that, or because?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    No doubt. There is a Chinese bank in New York with its name in Chinese characters on the outside wall. A news channel interviewed about 6 Chinese speakers from New York's Chinatown. They received six different translations of the characters. :wink:

    I'm glad I am able to understand Chinese effortlessly. <grin>
    Those people may have lived in New York too long.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: so, so that, or because?

    It's their loss.

    LOL!

  6. #16
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: so, so that, or because?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    It's their loss.

    LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •