Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: each

  1. #1
    navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    each

    1-"At one point in time, I have been in love with each one of them."

    Could I have ever been in love with two (or more) of them at the same time?

    2-"At one point in time, I was in love with every one of them."

    What are the possibilitie here?
    a-one at a time
    b-all at the same time
    c-maybe more that one at a time, but not necessarily all

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: each

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    1-"At one point in time, I have been in love with each one of them."

    Could I have ever been in love with two (or more) of them at the same time?
    Yes, definitely. It is definitely possible for "you" to have been in love with two or more of them at one time. :)

    (More natural would be At one time or another.)

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    2-"At one point in time, I was in love with every one of them."

    What are the possibilities here?
    a-one at a time
    b-all at the same time
    c-maybe more that one at a time, but not necessarily all
    The second one (b) is the most likely possibility. That is because every one of them means all of them or all of them at the same time.

    :)

  3. #3
    navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks RonBee.
    So 2 could mean either a, b or c, but b is the most likely meaning?

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think "At one time I was in love with every one of them" can really only mean the person was in love with all of them at the same time.

    (Sorry for any confusion.)

    :)

  5. #5
    navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I was the one who created the confusion. My original sentences were bad, I think. Once I used the present perfect tense, then I used the simple past. And I should have used "at one time or another" (you were right about this).
    1-At one point or another, I fell in love with every one of them.
    2-At one point or another, I fell in love with each one of them.

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    Actually, I was the one who created the confusion. My original sentences were bad, I think. Once I used the present perfect tense, then I used the simple past. And I should have used "at one time or another" (you were right about this).
    1-At one point or another, I fell in love with every one of them.
    2-At one point or another, I fell in love with each one of them.
    The way those sentences are phrased they really mean the same thing. In other words, the speaker was in love with all of "them" at some time, but it wasn't necessarily the same time. The important thing is that he experienced that feeling for all of them whenever it was.

    :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •