Anonymous Guest

Default Borges's ancient Chinese encyclopedia

Hi,

I am now reading "Kant and the Platypus" written by Umberto Eco and needs to translate the book into Chinese. I am not quite sure about the meaning of the following paragraph, especially the underlined part. Could anyone do me a favor. Thanks in advance.

What has Kant got to do with the platypus? Nothing. As we shall see from the dates, he couldn't have had anything to do with it. And this should suffice to justify the title and its use of an incongruous set that sounds like a tribute to Borges's ancient Chinese encyclopedia.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Borges's ancient Chinese encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Ya
    Hi,

I am now reading "Kant and the Platypus" written by Umberto Eco and needs to translate the book into Chinese. I am not quite sure about the meaning of the following paragraph, especially the underlined part. Could anyone do me a favor. Thanks in advance.

What has Kant got to do with the platypus? Nothing. As we shall see from the dates, he couldn't have had anything to do with it. And this should suffice to justify the title and its use of an incongruous set that sounds like a tribute to Borges's ancient Chinese encyclopedia.
    An incongruous set or an incongruity is something in which the two parts do not agree or are not in harmony with each other. Kant was a German philosopher. He had nothing to do with strange egg-laying mammals from Australia. Similarly, Borges, as an Argentine writer, had nothing to do with ancient Chinese reference books. :?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Borges's ancient Chinese encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Ya
    Hi,

In addition to Mike's wonderful explanation, Click Here to read a book review of Kant and the Platypus

With regards to the title "Kant and the Platypus" as an incongruous set of words (i.e. signs), I've borrowed the following words

Quote Originally Posted by Domenico Pacitti
    ...the beauty of expression is such that it unfailingly convinces the reader of its truth, while at the same time masking unresolved contradictions beneath the surface
    All the best,