Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Which Polish authors do you know?

    Dear all,

    Which Polish authors (including poets) do you know?

    Thanks,
    Nyggus

  2. #2
    seba_870701 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    hi nyggus.
    there's a nice list of polish writers:
    Polonistyka - Historia Literatury - Indeks autorów i utworów
    best regards,
    seba_870701
    ps
    may i ask what do you need it for?

  3. #3
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    To be honest I don't know that I've read anything by Polish authors apart from Conrad. In fact, I am not at all sure that I know of anything being published recently in translation.

  4. #4
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    I remember Henryk Sienkiewich with his best novel Teuton Knights. I read it many years ago when I was in high school. I`m not sure if the title [Teuton Knights ]is correct.

  5. #5
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    hi nyggus.
    there's a nice list of polish writers:
    Polonistyka - Historia Literatury - Indeks autorów i utworów
    best regards,
    seba_870701
    ps
    may i ask what do you need it for?
    Hi Seba,

    Well, note that I know Polish authors as I am... Polish. Just want to know which of them are known worldwide.

    Cheers,
    Nyggus

  6. #6
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    To be honest I don't know that I've read anything by Polish authors apart from Conrad. In fact, I am not at all sure that I know of anything being published recently in translation.
    What a pity... I know Conrad is well known, though I am pretty sure some don't know he was Polish.

  7. #7
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    I remember Henryk Sienkiewich with his best novel Teuton Knights. I read it many years ago when I was in high school. I`m not sure if the title [Teuton Knights ]is correct.
    He received the Nobel Prize in literature in 1905. The novel you wrote about was "The Teutonic Knights", though frankly I haven't read it.

    But he was not the only Polish Nobel Prize writer. It means nothing, of course, as frankly I don't know any Romanian writers... It's a real shame as I read a lot (but remember just little...)

    Looking for other names you may know. Am just curious.

    Nyggus

  8. #8
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    What a pity... I know Conrad is well known, though I am pretty sure some don't know he was Polish.
    I know the whole history of Joseph Conrad`s life and work. He is one of the authors we study in university and teach in high school.

  9. #9
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    He received the Nobel Prize in literature in 1905. The novel you wrote about was "The Teutonic Knights", though frankly I haven't read it.

    But he was not the only Polish Nobel Prize writer. It means nothing, of course, as frankly I don't know any Romanian writers... It's a real shame as I read a lot (but remember just little...)

    Looking for other names you may know. Am just curious.

    Nyggus
    Speaking of famous Romanian authors , have you ever heard of Mihai Eminescu [ Romanian national poet]?

  10. #10
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which Polish authors do you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    I know the whole history of Joseph Conrad`s life and work. He is one of the authors we study in university and teach in high school.
    Jozef Korzeniowski was his real name. And "Lord Jim" is something great though I haven't read it in English. It's a pity he didn't write anything in Polish or at least translated any of his books...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New website for Polish students who are learning English
    By Jarek Z. in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2009, 12:50
  2. Resources for teachers of English to speakers of Polish
    By sanfran28 in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2005, 06:32
  3. Polish needed
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2004, 14:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •