Anonymous Guest

Default having honored certain debts

Hi,

Could anyone help me out of the the underlined part? I am not quite sure what it means? Thanks a lot :)

Written therefore in a spirit of indecision and beset by numerous doubts, these essays spring from my feeling of not having honored certain debts incurred when I published A Theory of Semiotics in 1976. The debts concerned the problems of reference, iconism, truth, perception and what in those days I used to call the lower threshold of semiotics.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: having honored certain debts

Quote Originally Posted by Ya
    Hi,

Could anyone help me out of the the underlined part? I am not quite sure what it means? Thanks a lot :)

Written therefore in a spirit of indecision and beset by numerous doubts, these essays spring from my feeling of not having honored certain debts incurred when I published A Theory of Semiotics in 1976. The debts concerned the problems of reference, iconism, truth, perception and what in those days I used to call the lower threshold of semiotics.
    ...having not honored certain depts means, having not properly dealt with his, Umberto Eco's, obligation to his readers and to his scientific field to provide a better/clearer understanding of the problems of reference, iconsim, truth, perception, etc., in his 1976 publication A Theory of Semiotics.

All the best,