• Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Post God/s in heaven

How many God/s in heaven?

This has been a very hot topic for debate within the premise of Christianity. This prominent religion has branched into more or less 1700 denominations; each has it's own, at times related, distinct interpretation of the Bible, considered as the word of God. One major difference is in terms of the Godhead. How many God/s truly are mentioned in the Bible? Is there only one? Two? Or three?

Friction usually occurs between those who believe in one God without distinctions and those who believe that God is one with three disctinct persons.
    These beliefs are of the Oneness and Trinitarian groups.

Oneness groups claim that God is indivisibly one. He is the one Spirit who created all things by His own power. And that He revealed himself to man in various manifestations. His major manifestations are as the Father, in the Son of God, and as the Holy Ghost. These are not three persons of the Godhead but plainly manifestations of the one and only God. "God underlined his oneness in the book of Isaiah saying that there is no other God before Him. He knows no other god. There is no god beside Him. He made the heavens alone.", said one Oneness member.

On the other hand, Trinitarians claim that God is one with three distinct persons. All them are present since the beginning of time. "In the Baptism of Jesus", one said, "we are given the picture of the three persons of God working simultaneously. There we see Jesus going up out of the water, God the Father spoke from heaven saying; 'This is my Son in whom I am well pleased.' And the Holy Ghost descended on Jesus in the likeness of a dove." Trinitarians claim that in this event God revealed to man His reality. How he exists in three persons. This could be a mystery but is also a reality for them.

This controversy has always taken my avid attention. I read the Bible as often as I could to underscore the truth and to cross out the mere allegation between these beliefs. The Bible compels us to "Search the scriptures" and so I do. I found mine how about yours?
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Please check for grammar errors. Thanks a lot!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: God/s in heaven

however there was something called the trinity god..

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: God/s in heaven

Blouen, are you asking for comments on the writing? If it is the content, then I will need to move your post from this section.

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Blouen, are you asking for comments on the writing? If it is the content, then I will need to move your post from this section.
    Please check my grammar, and if you could give your comments I will be greatly pleased.

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    This has been a very hot topic for debate within the premise of Christianity.

Trinitarians claim that in this event God revealed to man His reality. How he exists in three persons. This could be a mystery but is also a reality for them.

This controversy has always taken my avid attention. I read the Bible as often as I could to underscore the truth and to cross out the mere allegation between these beliefs.
    The Bible is a very old document, and reading it is like reading a classic, or mythology (Homer's Odysseus or Oedipus for example). It is riddled with images and metaphors which many read literally and start questioning its veracity (like God's decision to turn Lot's wife into a pillar of salt, even episodes of incest or murder - how could that be, this is awful, or sounds like fairy tale...). But not many question Freud's analysis of Oedipus' murdering his father and marrying his own mother in terms of Oedipus complex which stands for the dynmics of the human subconscious. Some of the world's most famous philosophical discourses (metaphisycs, ontology and so on) draw on old documents and their mythical truths. Immanuel Kant argued that certain questions concerning metaphysics (notably those surrounding the existence of God) are inherent to human nature and the human nature itself is still a dilemma.

The oneness of God is (IMO) a metaphor. I see three dimensions to His being, or three conceptions of God, because I believe God is essence. He is no less real than His answers to our prayers are literal. Of course there are branches such as theism asserting that God exists for real, objectively, while deism asserts that God's existence transcends knowledge (is beyond the grasp of the human mind). Why am I saying this? Because to me, His existence is not more different than Oden's existence - i.e. Zeus in Norse mythology -, and the reading of the Old or New testament no more different than reading Oden's one eye being burried at the roots of an old oak. This cannot simply be read literally to be understood, but just like the Bible, its interpretation is hermeneutical (pertaining to the art or science of interpretation). It is thought-provoking.I have often wondered how people of all ages, even kids, read the Bible because I am sure they read it literally. Some even learn passages by heart without knowing what they mean. The Bible is considered to be the Truth, but its truth is not literal or conceptual, but an aesthetic one. In other words, the Bible doesn't lay claim to veracity, but it searches inwards for the truth in ourselves. It is a metaphorical read, and a damn good one - an asset of meanings. This might explain a little the controversies among its interpreters.

This is just my opinion. What do you think?
    Last edited by bianca; 18-Aug-2007 at 09:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bianca
    bianca, please read the forum rules. We do not discuss religion or politics on this site, but what we can offer you is advice and suggestions on your writing.

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I agree.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    Sorry, but as Cas said we don 't discuss religion here.

Could somebody please check my writing.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anglika,

Would you please check my grammar. Thank you very much.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only noticed one error. Okay, maybe two.

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    How many God/s in heaven?

This has been a very hot topic for debate within the premise of Christianity. This prominent religion has branched into more or less 1700 denominations; each has it's own, at times related, distinct interpretation of the Bible, considered as the word of God. One major difference is in terms of the Godhead. How many God/s truly are mentioned in the Bible? Is there only one? Two? Or three?
    Say:
    This prominent religion has branched into more or less 1700 denominations; each has its own....
    Also, when the word is pluralized it is always gods.

Only two errors--not bad!

(There are one or two things that would be caught by a spellcheck.)

~R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast