Anonymous Guest

Default dynamical object

Hello,

I have great trouble understanding the following underlined parts. Could anyone kindly give me a hand? Thank you so much.

As a matter of fact, in the first part of A Theory of Semiotics I
    began with a problem: If, in Peircean sense, there is such a thing as Dynamical Object, we know it only through an Immediate Object. By manipulating signs, we refer to the Dynamical Object as a terminus ad quem of semiosis. In the second part of the book, devoted to the ways in which signs are produced, I presupposed that if we speak it is because Something urges us to speak. And this ushered in the problem of the Dynamical Object as a terminus a quo.
    The decision to state the problem of the Dynamical Object first in terms of its being a terminus ad quemwas to determine my success interests, following the development of semiosis as a sequence of interpretants - interpretants being a collect, public, observable product laid down in the course of cultural processes, even though one does not presume the existence of a mind that admits of, uses, or develops them. This led to what I have written on the problem of signification, the text and intertextuality, narrativity and the elaboration and limits of interpretation. [/u]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: dynamical object

By manipulating signs, we refer to the Dynamical Object as a terminus ad quem of semiosis.
    The Peircean sign is a triadic relation that connects an object, O, to a representamen, R, and then to an interpretant I. The triadic sign relation provides a tool for showing conceptual relationships. In the case of a radar system, for example, the actual aircraft would be the (Dynamic) object, the representamen (Immediate Object: mental image) is the track symbol or a blip on a display, and the interpretant is the radar operator. The User's quality measures.Source

terminus ad quem is a Latin phrases for "limit from which" and "limit to which;" hence, the temporal starting-point and ending-point for the occurrence of any event, the moments of its beginning and its completion.Source

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not light reading.