• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Have You Ever Tried The Art Of Translation?

HI,

Have you ever tried the art of translation? Have you ever tried to translate a text, an article, short story, novels? Is it easy to make translations? Which is easier: to translate something from a foreign language into your native language or vice versa?

I have often translated texts but I have concluded that even if somenone knows a foreign language does not necessary means that s/he is a good translator. For me, it is easier to translate a text from my native language into a foreign language ( English ) but when I have to translate something in my native language I always have difficulties. Even though I can understand the whole text, I have difficulties in translation.
    If you have an opinion about translation or experience with translation then feel free and share it with us.

Madox

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have You Ever Tried The Art Of Translation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    If you have an opinion about translation or experience with translation then feel free and share it with us.

Madox
    Actually I am studing the art of translation, and this is what I intend ان شاء اللهto earn my living through it .

---What is Translation?
    Simply ,Translation is to change one language to another.

---Types of translation:
    1-Written translation.

2-Simultaneous interpretation
    3-Consecutive interpretation
    4-At sight translation

---Fields of translation:
    There are alot. EX:
    -Political translation
    -Religious translation.
    -Computer translation
    -General translation...etc.

seba_870701 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi there.
    I've tried translating some documents several times in my life and, generally, I don't find it too difficult. for me it is much easier to translate texts from Eng to my native language (Polish) than to foreign language (ie to Eng). I think is so because of the vocabulary. It is easier to comprehend style, author's attitude and the meaning of the text and then translate to the languge You know perfectly than the other way round.
    But much more interesting spect of translations is 'live translation' (not sure whether this is a proper name). I've tried it just once or twice in my life and I'm sure I'll never be able to work as an interpreter (or at least I'll not be able to work as an interpreter efficiently). I guess it happens so due to the difference between the 'learning' and 'acquisition' of the vocabulary. The more contact with natural/native Eng I have, the more vocabulary I acquire. I know the lexical items perfectly (I hope so ;) ) with their connotations, collocations and meanings, but I have a lot of problems with finding a proper equivalent in my language; it takes me a lot of time to think of it. It causes that my translation is not fluent and I'm a terrible interpreter though I understand either Eng and Pol.
    Do You have any interesting experiences with that kind of translation?
    Cheers.

Veron1 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Have You Ever Tried The Art Of Translation?

Hi everyone
    Yes ,I have tried translating next year as I'm studying translation course
    English-Arabic;Arabic-English and French-English
    I love translating from English into Arazbic and visa-versa
    Honestly I'm not that good at French (as you know translation is not that easy )
    When you translate you have to know the culture and civilization of this specific lang and als master the language
    that's why my marks in translating from French to English were horrible
    I like more translating from English into Arabic
    Thanks Mad-ox for this thread
    It's very interesting

Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    hi there.
    I've tried translating some documents several times in my life and, generally, I don't find it too difficult. for me it is much easier to translate texts from Eng to my native language (Polish) than to foreign language (ie to Eng). I think is so because of the vocabulary. It is easier to comprehend style, author's attitude and the meaning of the text and then translate to the languge You know perfectly than the other way round.
    But much more interesting spect of translations is 'live translation' (not sure whether this is a proper name). I've tried it just once or twice in my life and I'm sure I'll never be able to work as an interpreter (or at least I'll not be able to work as an interpreter efficiently). I guess it happens so due to the difference between the 'learning' and 'acquisition' of the vocabulary. The more contact with natural/native Eng I have, the more vocabulary I acquire. I know the lexical items perfectly (I hope so ;) ) with their connotations, collocations and meanings, but I have a lot of problems with finding a proper equivalent in my language; it takes me a lot of time to think of it. It causes that my translation is not fluent and I'm a terrible interpreter though I understand either Eng and Pol.
    Do You have any interesting experiences with that kind of translation?
    Cheers.
    Indeed, we have to have a very rich vocabulary( both in our native language and the language in which we translate ) in our active language store in order to translate something fast and correctly; and of course : study a lot and obviously, repetition. As the saying says: Repetition is the mother of skill.

Madox

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Veron1 View Post
    Hi everyone
    Yes ,I have tried translating next year as I'm studying translation course
    English-Arabic;Arabic-English and French-English
    I love translating from English into Arazbic and visa-versa
    Honestly I'm not that good at French (as you know translation is not that easy )
    When you translate you have to know the culture and civilization of this specific lang and als master the language
    that's why my marks in translating from French to English were horrible
    I like more translating from English into Arabic
    Thanks Mad-ox for this thread
    It's very interesting
    Can we call translation an art?

Madox

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

hi everybody,

I would like to ask about the business part of translation. How much money do a translator receive for his/her job in your country? Does it worth to be a translator in your country? Is it easy to obtain a Translator Authorization in your country?

Madox

PS in my country if you want to translate a literary text, for instance one page costs between 30 and 40 lei which is equivalent with 9 euro/10$. It is quite expansive. How about in your country? And a very good translator can earn up to 400-600 Euro in a month, but the avarage salary(translators) is about 250-300 Euro. Oh and if you want to obtain the authorozation for translation you have to face a lot of birocratism.

Madox

Veron1 is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Have You Ever Tried The Art Of Translation?

Can we call translation an art?

Madox
    Absolutely,yes
    It is
    We can't say that anyone can translate.
    Translationis an art and has its artists
    I may say it's a gift from God

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Veron1 View Post
    Absolutely,yes
    It is
    We can't say that anyone can translate.
    Translationis an art and has its artists
    I may say it's a gift from God

Post Thanks / Like

hi everybody,

I would like to ask about the business part of translation. How much money do a translator receive for his/her job in your country? Does it worth to be a translator in your country? Is it easy to obtain a Translator Authorization in your country?

Madox

PS in my country if you want to translate a literary text, for instance one page costs between 30 and 40 lei which is equivalent with 9 euro/10$. It is quite expansive. How about in your country? And a very good translator can earn up to 400-600 Euro in a month, but the avarage salary(translators) is about 250-300 Euro. Oh and if you want to obtain the authorozation for translation you have to face a lot of birocratism.

Madox
    I'm not sure how much does a translator earn for each page, but I know it depends on the type of the translation; I mean whether it is 'normal' or a one made by a translator who is approved by official institution in my country (this is more expensive because it is not easy to get that approval). The avarage translator, if s/he focuses on the art of the translation only, can earn between 3.000 and 4.000 zl which is sth around 800 and 1050 Euro (1 Euro = 3,825 zl), monthly. This is fairly good, but not excellent, profit.
    Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get official approval/authorization. And even if You finally get it, You must wait up to half a year for an official stamp from a state mint, what in fact entitles You to charge higher rate from the customers.

cheers

NOTE: the translators' earnings stated above are derived from the company I worked for some time and might differ from domestic earnings, but I guess it is accurate

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast