Try,

You're welcome

FRC
    Sorry.
    :D Thank you. :D

Psst. I didn't want to sound facitious.

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with being facetious
    Anyway, I will sometimes use common forum abbreviations, like IMO, TY or AE. Some might frown on them, but well this is a forum and I do it deliberately from times to times. This is more of a case of choosing one's own words, style, language level etc.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    There's nothing wrong with being facetious
    Anyway, I will sometimes use common forum abbreviations, like IMO, TY or AE. Some might frown on them, but well this is a forum and I do it deliberately from times to times. This is more of a case of choosing one's own words, style, language level etc.

FRC
    AmE, actually. :wink: From times to times? I don't get adding the -s's. :( I've never even seen a student use it that way myself. Is it FRC-speak? What does it mean? That is, what's the play on words/meaning? Do tell! I want to know. :D

Psst. Not "a Forum", but a Language Forum, notably, a Using English Forum. The adjectives, not the noun, carry the importance. :D On that note, if you can tell me what Language IMO and TY belong to, and I mean a real language, one like math or French, I'd be forever in your dept. If you can't, well, then, I have a question: What's in it for the language learner, why learn to use IMO and TY in place of in my opinion and Thank You? Save for the odd online learning situation, wherein using Netspeak is grounds for an F (failure), Netspeak, although it might have some unforeseen value, has yet to be shown to have value in the world where we communicate are spoken wants and needs. Perpetuating Netspeak is not all that maverick of a cause when you're privy to the facts: At the present time students both ESL and non-ESL alike are using Netspeak in their essays, homework and exams, and morever, being marked down for it. Not that I agree with that myself, because I don't, but can they or you or anybody offer a good reason or reasons why Netspeak is or isn't valuable to the language learner? I'd like to know. 8)

All the best, :D

Post Thanks / Like

AmE, actually.
    No, I mean AE vs BE! I'm not the only one to use them. Anyway, it's not that I particularly like AE instead of AmE, this is just a question of habit.
    From times to times? I don't get adding the -s's. Sad I've never even seen a student use it that way myself. Is it FRC-speak? What does it mean? That is, what's the play on words/meaning? Do tell! I want to know.
    That's a mistake, and I'm always grateful when someone takes the time to correct me. You're making fun of it, aren't you? Are you mad or something?

Psst. Not "a Forum", but a Language Forum, notably, a Using English Forum. The adjectives, not the noun, carry the importance. On that note, if you can tell me what Language IMO and TY belong to, and I mean a real language, one like math or French, I'd be forever in your dept. If you can't, well, then, I have a question: What's in it for the language learner, why learn to use IMO and TY in place of in my opinion and Thank You? Save for the odd online learning situation, wherein using Netspeak is grounds for an F (failure), Netspeak, although it might have some unforeseen value, has yet to be shown to have value in the world where we communicate are spoken wants and needs. Perpetuating Netspeak is not all that maverick of a cause when you're privy to the facts: At the present time students both ESL and non-ESL alike are using Netspeak in their essays, homework and exams, and morever, being marked down for it. Not that I agree with that myself, because I don't, but can they or you or anybody offer a good reason or reasons why Netspeak is or isn't valuable to the language learner? I'd like to know.
    Why use slang? You're bound to get the bad grades as well if you use it. What is its value then? You can say the same things with a plain vocabulary. What about lingo? We could do away with it, if people didn't use it. I participate in several English-speaking forums, with US residents (having nothing to do with ESL), and many of them use these kinds of abbreviations, slang, lingo, etc. My goal is not to state if it's a good thing or not; my goal is to write or say what I want in a way that a native-speaker could have naturally used, even if it could get me an F in an essay. The more options I have, the better, especially if I know the subtle differences between each one. I try to use them often to keep them in my "active" vocabulary. That's the way I've been doing so far. Is that non-sense? I'm sorry if it sounds like "say what you want, I'll use them anyway" and if that's what bothered you. My only purpose it to have as wide a spectrum of natural-sounding expressions as possible, b/c (eh, another one!) I feel it's a nice way to improve one's English.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FRC
    You're making fun of it, aren't you? Are you mad or something?
    No. Not at all. :D I truly enjoy learning from you. 8)

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I am the one who is sorry. What do you expect to learn from me, as far as English is concerned? You're the native-speaker, and I'm a humble ESL learner, with a bit of a cheeky streak

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Are these correct?
    1. Incase there is any exception.. (What does this mean?)
    2. Incase there are any exceptions.. (What does this mean?)

3. One of your light bulbs are dead.
    4. One of your light bulb is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    I am the one who is sorry. What do you expect to learn from me, as far as English is concerned? You're the native-speaker, and I'm a humble ESL learner, with a bit of a cheeky streak

FRC
    Cheers! :D

What do I have to learn from you? :D Loads! English is a tool for international communication. :D

Post Thanks / Like

What do these mean?

1. Where are the cheeseburger wrappers? (Asking about more then one cheesburger wrapper?
    2. Where is the cheeseburger wrapper? (Asking about one cheeseburger wrapper?)
    2. Where is the wrapper for the cheeseburger? (Asking about the wrapper for the cheeseburger?)
    3. Where is the wrapper for the cheeseburgers? (Asking for a wrapper for many cheeseburgers?)
    4. Where are the wrappers for the cheeseburger? (Asking for many wrappers for a cheeseburger?)
    5. Where are the wrappers for the cheeseburgers? (Asking for many wrappers for many cheesebugers?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Where are the cheeseburger wrappers?
    (Asking about more then one cheesburger wrapper?) :D

2. Where is the cheeseburger wrapper?
    (Asking about one cheeseburger wrapper?) :D

2. Where is the wrapper for the cheeseburger?
    (Asking about the wrapper for the cheeseburger?) :D

3. Where is the wrapper for the cheeseburgers?
    (Asking for a wrapper for many cheeseburgers?) :D

4. Where are the wrappers for the cheeseburger?
    (Asking for many wrappers for a cheeseburger?) :D

5. Where are the wrappers for the cheeseburgers?
    (Asking for many wrappers for many cheesebugers?) :D
    => one wrapper per cheeseburger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast