Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    unregistered Guest

    Question native intuition

    We've got some disagreements here among higly fluent EFL speakers here regarding the following sentence. Could anybody help? Clear grammatical explanations would be great!

    Which one of the following sentences reads best? Would you say any of them is not grammatical (descriptively or prescriptively) or awkward?

    After having sold fake drugs and making a lot of money, the pharmaceutical company recently lost its license.

    After having sold fake drugs and made a lot of money, the pharmaceutical company recently lost its license.

    After selling fake drugs and making a lot of money, the pharmaceutical company recently lost its license.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native intuition

    The third one is by far the best. The other two are at least awkward, or grammatically wrong, depending on how strict you want to be. In any case, they are both unacceptable to me.

    The first one can be corrected in two ways:
    a) After having sold fake drugs and having made a lot of money,............'.
    b) Convert it to the third one. This is the best choice because it uses simple and consistent grammar.

    The second one is very very awkward/grammatically wrong, . Correct it as below:
    c) 'After it sold fake drugs and made a lot of money,..........'.
    d) Convert it to a).

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native intuition

    Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    We've got some disagreements here among higly fluent EFL speakers here regarding the following sentence. Could anybody help? Clear grammatical explanations would be great!

    Which one of the following sentences reads best? Would you say any of them is not grammatical (descriptively or prescriptively) or awkward?

    After having sold fake drugs and making a lot of money, the pharmaceutical company recently lost its license.

    After having sold fake drugs and made a lot of money, the pharmaceutical company recently lost its license.

    After selling fake drugs and making a lot of money, the pharmaceutical company recently lost its license.

    Thanks
    Since I don't like any of those sentences, I am going to devise my own.


    What you are looking for is contrast. Also, you need to make a closer connection between selling fake drugs and making money. Perhaps:
    After making a lot of money selling fake drugs, the pharmaceutical company lost its license.


    Or:


    The pharmaceutical company made a lot of money selling fake drugs, but it lost its license.


    Or:


    The pharmaceutical company made a lot of money selling fake drugs until quite recently, when it lost its license.
    (I agree with 2006 on the best choice of the sentences given.)


  4. #4
    K_ENG is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native intuition

    Interesting. I'm not a native speaker but I've asked one of my American friends and she thought the best sentence should be
    After selling and making a lot of money,...

    But she further identified the second sentence After having sold fake drugs and made a lot of money,... as grammatical while considering the first option being awkward.

    Couldn't we consider After having [sold fake drugs] and [made a lot of money],..the same as After having sold fake drugs and having made a lot of money as similar constituents can be coordinated?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native intuition

    Having made a lot of money from the sale of fake drugs, the pharmaceutical company lost its licence.

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native intuition

    Quote Originally Posted by K_ENG View Post
    Interesting. I'm not a native speaker but I've asked one of my American friends and she thought the best sentence should be
    After selling and making a lot of money,...

    But she further identified the second sentence After having sold fake drugs and made a lot of money,... as grammatical while considering the first option being awkward.

    Couldn't we consider After having [sold fake drugs] and [made a lot of money],..the same as After having sold fake drugs and having made a lot of money as similar constituents can be coordinated?
    Are you the original poster?


  7. #7
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native intuition

    Quote Originally Posted by Westley Mark View Post
    Having made a lot of money from the sale of fake drugs, the pharmaceutical company lost its licence.
    I don't know if we can be sure that the money was made only from selling fake drugs, although that is possible. We have to be very careful not to change the meaning when rewording a sentence.

  8. #8
    K_ENG is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: native intuition

    Yes, RonBee, I'm the original poster and I'm a newbie to this forum . I didn't realize that I wasn't logged in till after I saw my own post. Thanks for your replies, Ronbee, 2006, & W.M.

Similar Threads

  1. Alaska Native
    By TCarPanko in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2007, 22:22
  2. Native English roots
    By Little Marie in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-May-2006, 13:11
  3. what is a native speaker?
    By bbqweasel in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2006, 05:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •