Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default extracted forms of verbs

I am going to ask you a very stupid question. Actually, I would just like to make sure that I am right about sth. I feel very ashamed I do not know it for sure .

Is the sentence below correct, please?

I've not been waiting long.

Or do I have to say "I haven't been ..."?I am not sure whether the first sentence would be normally acceptable and considered right.

If the sentence really is right, is there a difference between "I've not been waiting long. " and "I have not been waiting long."? I mean, I know there is no difference in meaning; I'd just like to know if, for example, the second sentence emphasizes the negative "not" more or less than the first sentence.

(By the way, I'd really appreaciate if you corrected my English - as well as stylistics and punctuation (comma setting etc.).)

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: extracted forms of verbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    I am going to ask you a very stupid question.
    I was told on a course once: "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask."
    Actually, I would just like to make sure that I am right about sth. I feel very ashamed I do not know it for sure .

Is the sentence below correct, please?

I've not been waiting long.

Or do I have to say "I haven't been ..."?I am not sure whether the first sentence would be normally acceptable and considered right.

If the sentence really is right, is there a difference between "I've not been waiting long. " and "I have not been waiting long."? I mean, I know there is no difference in meaning; I'd just like to know if, for example, the second sentence emphasizes the negative "not" more or less than the first sentence.
    They both sound OK to me. It's possible that 'I've not been...' is chiefly Br Eng - I defer to my transatlantic colleagues on this. But in the UK, they're both fine. And I detect no difference in emphasis.

(By the way, I'd really appreaciate if you corrected my English - as well as stylistics and punctuation (comma setting etc.).)
    That was the only mistake I noticed! And "comma setting" sounds a bit odd; perhaps say "placing of commas" (or you could use placement, but that sounds a bit too formal.)

b

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much, Bob!

I am surprised that the typo (apart from the weird expression "comma setting") was the only mistake I made. Thank you for the correction, indeed. It is good to hear I didn't make (or haven't made?) any mistakes this time!

As to the wrong collocation "comma setting", I didn't know how to express it in English. The only thing I knew was that they call it "Kommasetzung" in German - that's why I thought it might have been similar in English.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

'It is good to hear I didn't make (or haven't made?) any mistakes this time!'

(You'd use the present perfect with an adverbial denoting duration: 'I haven't made any mistakes for weeks.')

b
    Last edited by BobK; 21-Aug-2007 at 11:48. Reason: Added final parenthesis

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. You're really nice.